Repeated Sim crashes, or are they connection failires?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since the network and server maintenance on the 25th September, Kuula sim seems to have been going up and down like a yo-yo (I have a cruder English version of that which leads to the suggestion that she should have used stronger elastic). With neighbouring sims also vanishing, sometimes all eight neighbours, leaving red-marked sones on the mini-map and nothing but empty space in world, there's something wrong somewhere.

The Sim returns to life pretty quickly, though it may be invisible to teleports for several minutes, and other users seem to have been experiencing the same crashes, so it's not all specific to my connection.

It's getting annoying (and anyone who suggests making a JIRA report can go copulate with a mirror: that's a time management system, not an error reporting system).

William Tare Fox, and other expressions of dismayed and frustrated curiousity as to what is going on.

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

Since the network and server maintenance on the 25th September, Kuula sim seems to have been going up and down like a yo-yo (I have a cruder English version of that which leads to the suggestion that she should have used stronger elastic). With neighbouring sims also vanishing, sometimes all eight neighbours, leaving red-marked sones on the mini-map and nothing but empty space in world, there's something wrong somewhere.

The Sim returns to life pretty quickly, though it may be invisible to teleports for several minutes, and other users seem to have been experiencing the same crashes, so it's not all specific to my connection.

It's getting annoying (and anyone who suggests making a JIRA report can go copulate with a mirror: that's a time management system, not an error reporting system).

William Tare Fox, and other expressions of dismayed and frustrated curiousity as to what is going on.

If the SIMs keeping going "off line" then that calls for a Support Ticket.

When that happened on my SIM I put up a SIM Status Tracker which recorded the "restarts."  I submitted a ticket with the info and it was fixed the same day.

ETA, you're right, JIRA is used as a time mgt tool by LL.  But there are hot button issues that sometimes get responded to very quickly.  The last JIRA I filed had a Linden on the SIM in less than half an hour.

I'll check, but NCI have some very smart people, with huge experience of Second Life, and I would be very surprised if they haven't already done that, with great detail. Kuula is the Sim where their main base is. I just occasionally help a newcomer with something very basic.

I'm just taking a guess at what is going on here.

There's an old adage that you can't fix something when it's working.

At least in my situation it documented that the problem was 'real' and gave LL the specific time stamps where to look in the server logs.  Details really help to expedite things for everyone involved.

And yes, NCI has some very expeienced people so hopefully they have filed their support request.

I have experienced three sim crashes for Kuula since the Thursday maintenance. I gave up and went else-grid.

Are the Lindens logging anything, because something like that should be sticking out like a sore thumb? Even a luser like me knows enough to log sim server restarts and stream the logfile through AWK as a chron job (Perl scares me). I HAVE DONE THIS IN AN MS WINDOWS SYSTEM!

No, I don't expect the Lindens to talk.

The War Room.jpg

I have experienced three sim crashes for Kuula since the Thursday maintenance. I gave up and went else-grid.

Are the Lindens logging anything, because something like that should be sticking out like a sore thumb? Even a luser like me knows enough to log sim server restarts and stream the logfile through AWK as a chron job (Perl scares me). I HAVE DONE THIS IN AN MS WINDOWS SYSTEM!

No, I don't expect the Lindens to talk.

Well, they have this room at Linden Lab with a Map of Second Life on it...........   ;)

Really, your guess is as good as mine.

I do know the Wiki says there is a:

Region Conductor

• Looks for regions that should be running, but are down
  • Start those regions on a sim host that has room for it

If you do really want to confirm that it is a SIM crashes you are dealing with, this is the script from the Wiki:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Sim_Restart_Logger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.