When uploading Blender mesh clothing to Second life, it's sideways (easiest way to describe it).

natethegreat880

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

blender issue.jpgSo, I'm having a newbie issue, and I can't figure it out. I upload clothing from Marvelous Designer into Blender. I then weight paint the clothing to a Second Life skeleton/avatar. In Blender everything is matched up as it should be. However, when I upload into Second life the clothing is always sideways. Yet, if I mess around and try to include the actual avatar as a mesh model when I upload, the mesh second life avatar is NOT sideways, but the clothing still uploads sideways. Even in the preview it shows it as sideways. It's really confusing me... I guess what I'm asking is how do I upload mesh clothing and make it match up to the correct body part as it looks in Blender? I'm sure it's some simplistic thing I'm doing wrong, but if anyone has any insight I'd really appreciate it. :)

Sounds like you have not done something right during the upoad or maybe for the export from blender.

Heres what i do when i have rigged my mesh and am going to upload it to SL.

1. apply rotation and scale (you have done this)

2. go to file export as dae choose rigged for SL/open sim and save

3. open the upload mesh window in SL choose my file

4. then click on the tab that says upload options and check include skin weights

5. hit calculate weights and fees then upload.

If this doesnt work i would think maybe your not doing something right in blender.

You can test your mesh in the beta grid so you dont have to spend L$ doing uploads to the main grid if you didnt know about this.

natethegreat880 wrote:

how do I position the mesh in the exact position in Second Life, as it is in Blender on the avatar?

There are no adjustments that you can make in SL, the position is influenced by the weighting of the vertices.

I'm going to make one suggestion here which is that if you're looking to make clothing, the best tool out there is the Avastar plug in for Blender.  It costs less than a montly sub for Marvelous Designer and deals with issues such as that which I suspect you're experiencing here which is the shape issues.

If you've designed around the default shape in Blender, assuming that you've not rigged the item to collision bones for fitted mesh, then in order for it to "fit" in SL, you'd need to use the default avatar shape in SL as you are in blender.

Avastar has tools for rigging to fitted mesh and will also allow shape import from SL to blender so that you can make for exactly the same shape in blender as you have in SL.

Whether you bother faffing about with the beta grid to save L$11 is up to you but you will save yourself a lot more if you do three things.  Simplest, set the lowest LOD value to 0 in the dialog, there's not really much point having a lowest LOD for clothing, you're only a dozen pixels on screen when it's at that LOD, nothing to see.  Save out a cube from blender as a .dae and then in the physics tab, in the settings choose "from file" and select your cube.

Those two actions will dramatically drop your upload cost to typically L$11 to L$12.  If it's much more than that, then the third thing to do is reduce topology overall and in your case, 40,000+ vertices is kinda a LOT for a dress.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.