Quest for the Bow

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'd thought I'd try and post this here and see where it leads me.

I'm not a genious with Marvelous Designer, I'm somewhat new at it, having only played with it for around 3-4 months. So I am trying to make a bow. Seems rather easy, right? Thing is, I cannot, for the life of me make the simulation of the cloth behave properly!!!

Sometimes certain things in MD have their own workflow in order to look right or do things easier, and perhaps this is the case? Because I cannot get this thing right.

I was looking for some tips or some workflow explanations  as to how the best way to make a bow in MD.  Anything you could write up would be helpful. There must be some step I'm missing or something I'm just doing wrong.

Thanks in advance!

I wanted to do this at one point too. And after fussing for hours with pinning fabric and trying to figure it out (Couldnt find a tut on it) 

I just went ahead and made it in blender. And now use the same bow with new textures on different projects. Much easier in blender I found :P

But would be interesting if someone knew. MD Is like RL fabric templates, so essentially the bow would be made like RL, but pulling something through another in MD Is rather difficult.. You could try making the ring, Simple thing attached to itself, Hovering it in mid air, positioning to pieces of fluffy fabric on either side and the connecting those, and MD will shove them through and make it fluff etc, then freeze it and position it..

but its a bit convuluted rather than just making it in blender or sculpting it in Zbrush :P

I know what you mean: I've tried following the same steps as a bow in RL (I've actually made a few) but MD is just too stubborn to obey my commands. It goes a bit nuts when it has to simulate a piece of fabric tieing another.

Actually, I DID find a tutorial on making a thin bow. The video has been deleted. Here's the link I found, just in case: http://beckjak.blogspot.pt/2013/03/make-ribbon.html?view=sidebar

I's a shame, really.

The big issues is that it takes multiple steps to tie a bow and MD simulates everything at once, so it would be really problematic to tie a bow in MD the same way one would in real life.

The cheaty way it to take two stripes one small one long, stick the small strip one layer above the long one, stitch each strip to itself on the far ends. Of course you'll need to stitch the smaller strip to something so it doesn't just float off.  Then when you simulate you'll get the middle knot with the loopy ends and you can always stitch

...but ya like MIstahMoose it's easier to just model it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.