LSL for Normal And specular Map

Hart Larsson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The recent introduction of normal and specular map is a great news for increase the appearence effects of objects.

I try to find out if LL have already made /upgraded the LSL functions to apply not only the Diffuse map (curent feature) but also the normal and specular map but i've not find any information.

Another question is the actual MATERIAL parameter (http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Materials) that change not only the phisical collision sound but also the colision effect. How will work with the new introduction of the 2 extra texture?

I ask that cause if i develope the 3 texture of a wood and wanna put as material physical effect WOOD the appearence will be affected by the WOOD material effect embedded by linden code.

Someone have info about that?

Possible ETA?

ty

Hart

Two completely unrelated concepts overloading the "Material" term. The physics "material" properties can already be controlled (to a liimited degree) with PRIM_MATERIAL (and with no effect on prim appearance). The surface appearance effects of specular- and normalmaps cannot be controlled by script, and there is no assurance from the Lab that these will ever be exposed to LSL functions at all.

The reason to suspect they may never provide that functionality is that the Lab is on record saying they'll never provide a script interface to projected texture lighting for fear of frequent updates killing the viewer.

thank you so much for the answer.

I had the doubt that linden lab will not support normal and specualr map by scripts because normally if they implement something on the edit menu, they also give the script support at the same time (if they wanna cover it).

I really hope they will think in future more about that because a designer could be interested to apply different materials/textures by a retexturing script to a product/object.

Hart

Well, I hope you're right about that. They've made some vague noises about waiting to see how demand develops, but they've also pretty much eliminated every way a customer might register "demand" so that's pretty much the same as "we'll do as we please if and when it suits us."

To be fair, however, the adoption curve for Materials is not a sure thing. Not being able to see Materials in a viewer just makes stuff less detailed--the stuff is still visible, unlike Mesh--so if Materials never catches on before Second Life is completely replaced, one wouldn't want to waste too much time on it. As another example, Shared Media (aka MoaP) could consume arbitrary development time but will never be adopted by a majority of SL users due to security vulnerability inherent to the architecture.

Anyway, content creators can use cel-based texture animation to swap among a very limited number of pre-defined limited-resolution specular- and normalmaps, where all alternatives are combined into single map images that can be scaled and offset by animation. It's a hideous kludge, but it's a useful trick for now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.