When I try to upload my mesh, the texture is messed up in the preview window.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've seen many forum posts on texture/uvw problems, but not my exact issue.  When I try to upload my mesh in SL, the preview window displays my texture as if it's tiled and flipped in many ways....like a really ugly pattern.  I THOUGHT this might just be a fault with the previewer and went ahead and uploaded the mesh, then uploaded the texture seperately and applied it, but the result was the same.  Even though the texture was set to 1x1 tiling, it looks like the texture is tiled many times and each tile is randomly angled and spun/rotated to make it look like a mess.

Here's what I've done so far:

I'm using 3dsmax 2012 with openCollada to export.  I tried using the default autodesk Collada export, but that always resulted in my uploads to sl getting a "Missing required level of detail" error message.  OpenCollada resolved that issue and now i can upload the mesh, however the texture wouldn't display in the preview window...after trying different export options, I got the texture to show up, but it doesn't appaer properly, as i explained. 

I started with an editable mesh with an unwrap UVW modifier on it.  I made the seams for the UVW and painted the texture in photoshop.  The texture looks great in 3dsmax and I even make a sculptie of it which looks good in SL with the texture....However, i want to make it a mesh. 

I've tried leaving the UVW Unwrap in the stack before exporting from 3dsmax....I've tried collapsing the stack in 3dsmax....I've tried making it an edit poly and mesh....I've tried many different export settings based on trial and error and what i've read in forums.  I've tried changing my jpg texture to a tga texture....I've changed my texture from 1024px to 512px....I've tried a few different things in the material editor, including using a standard map and using a multi-level map (even though it's just one single texture), and I've tried much more.  But every time the result is the same....IF i'm able to see the texture in the preview window, it's always a "tiled mess"...that's the best way i can describe it. 

Can anyone offer any suggestions on what the issue might be?  If you need more info or screen shots, feel free to ask.  Thanks in advance for any help.

BlackHeaven1983 wrote:

I'm using 3dsmax 2012 with openCollada to export.

That's your problem.

OpenCollada loses all UV data.

As you noticed, the Autodesk FBX exporter in 3ds max 2012 gives issues aswell, but still that's the one to use.

Instead of exporting to DAE, export to FBX and use the Autodesk 2011 FBX converter to turn that FBX file into DAE.

Autodesk FBX Converter

You need the 2011.3.1 version.

If you have a subscription, you could upgrade 3ds max to 2013, that works without the converter.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and that seemed to do the trick.  I did just as you said, exported the fbx and converted it to a dae file and uploaded it.  The texture didn't display in the preview window, however i applied the texture after uploading it, and it worked!  

Much more testing to do, but hopefully all will go smoothly.  Thanks for the help!

I'm happy that works.

Even more good news probably.

I had somewhat of a quarrel with someone IN the wiki about this issue. 2012 and all its exporters have the issue, but the 2013.2 version used in 3ds max 2013 doesn't need the 3ds max - fbx - dae - secondlife. It can directly export the dae. As I have 2013, I can't test, but she thought the 2013.2 collada exporter would work with 3ds max 2012 aswell. Keep your eyes on the wiki, I'm sure it will be posted there once it's been through some testing.

Wiki

I never got the textures included in the upload to work myself. It has got something to do with absolute and relative paths as far as I know. Uploading them seperately isn't such a pain really.

If you upload the textures with the mesh, you have to pay the full fee whenever either is modified. If you keep the uploads separate, you only have to pay for the part that is modified. What if you want to have a dozen different texture options for one mesh? Are you going to pay the mesh upload fee for each one? As far as I can see, there is no real advantage to uploading the textures with the mesh, and there is this clear disadvantage.

Drongle McMahon wrote:

As far as I can see, there is no real advantage to uploading the textures with the mesh, and there is this clear disadvantage.

I agree, the only other advantage I can think of is you can see how your textures are applied to your mesh before you upload and pay for them.

The clear disadvantage is minor too though in my opinion, at least for me. I do all my preperation work including test uploads on the beta grid. Paying for the textures each time wouldn't cost anything then.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.