I can't get Second Life to work on Ubuntu 12.10 32bit after installing it.

HappySam

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been searching high and low on the internet as to why I can't open Second Life on Ubuntu 12.10.

When I try to open the program, I don't get a response. No windows open, sometimes there isn't even cpu activity.

I have tried other browsers which all lead to the same result.

The same problem seems to have been reported here as well.

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-center/+question/211686

Thanks

Computer configuration:

Pentium E5300 (W) 2.6 GHz (65W) 800 MHz front side bus
Intel G41 Express
Motherboard Name: H-IG41-uATX
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Eton-GL6
4GB PC3-10600
Integrated Graphics

10 answers to this question

I don't use Linux but just reading your post, it looks like it's failing to load a necessary driver, presumably your graphics driver. Although for an older Ubuntu version, perhaps this thread may help.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Can-t-install-SL-viewer-on-Ubuntu-desktop-11-04/m-p/1140597/highlight/true#M8256

Also, I see you have installed the beta viewer, why not try with the version off the main download page?

Someone more familiar with your OS hopefully will be able to add more. Would be helpful if you could add details of your computer system using Options > EDit to the right of your post.

Hi Nyll.

My error also says that I am running (or trying to...) a BETA version.

The version I downloaded is 3.4.1.266581 which, as far as i can see, is not a Beta version.

(https://secondlife.com/support/downloads/?lang=en-US)

I also tried with a previous, non-beta version, just to check that and the error comes back the same.

Any advice anyone can give will be welcomed, though it would appear to me, that Linden Labs need to get on to this and write whatever drivers are needed for this. Ubuntu 12.10 has been around for a while now and it seems odd that there is little activity in keeping the viewer on track.

Regards,

SM

I had the same problem after my new laptop crashed i got out my old one i put ubuntu 12.10 and it wouldnt work. Looked high and low on the internet after down grading ubuntu to 10.10 everything worked i got it to work with no problems on 11.10 which is what i am using now so if you really want to run sl use 11.10 and it is runing the gnom setting works get

I know that this is a bit late, but since the problem hasn't really been solved, I'll go ahead and share what I've found and how I managed to get SL working on my linux laptop.

I was running into the same problem with all second life viewers (and I was also getting errors with any games that ran 3-D). For me, the problem turned out to be a driver issue. I have a compaq CQ62 (AKA: HP G62) with an ATi Radeon Mobility 4200 Graphics Card. ATi dropped support for these cards on the latest fglrx driver for Ubuntu 12.10, and moved the support to fglrx-legacy. However, the current fglrx-legacy driver is incompatible with Ubuntu 12.10 (and all variants). The legacy driver requires xorg 1.12, but the OS requires xorg 1.13 (see: http://askubuntu.com/questions/203232/radeon-hd-2000-3000-4000-on-12-10-quantal-fglrx-legacy-12-6-unsupported-wh)

In order to get SL working, I had to downgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 (which also happens to be a Long Term Support version). I backed up my files and did a fresh install of 12.04, then I installed 12.04's standard fglrx driver (the driver for ATi graphics cards).

Before the downgrade, I tried several other fixes. I tried downgrading xorg only using a special repository (tutorial). This didn't work for me, and also broke my ability to boot into my computer (I rebooted after attempting to install the legacy drivers, which left my computer without ANY graphics drivers. Fixing this would have required either several hours of poking around config files from a live CD or a complete reinstall.).

I tried running different viewers (Exodus, firestorm, vanilla SL) and they all had the same issue. I tried installing a windows version of SL via wine, only to have it crash on continuously on startup. I even tried different versions of 12.10 (Ubuntu and Xubuntu).

The only method that even remotely worked for me was the fresh install of 12.04, followed by installing the normal 12.04 fglrx drivers. Best of luck to anyone else with this problem.

EDIT: sorry, I forgot to mention that the FINAL piece of the puzzle was also to install "ia32-libs" using the following via terminal:

sudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Hi byswed.

Thanks for that info.

Unfortunately, it appears that the problem I am experiencing is not that particular issue.

I have replaced the so files as suggested but am getting exactly the same error:

libGL error: failed to load driver: i965

I have tried setting the libgl debug flag but it does pretty much nothing. That is probably down to where it gets called (or not, as the case may be).

I am going to try and install it through Wine or Crossover and see what happens with those.

Cheers!

SM

Me again.

Unfortunately, SL viewer for Windows does not run in Wine ro Crssover. It complains about the system clock being set incorrectly and stalls on the startup screen.

Come on Linden Labs, sort this out please!

I am a premium paying member and can promise you that I won't continue to be, if this goes on for much longer!

Thanks and hurry up!!

SM

n my solution for the fontconfig issue, I am not talking about replacing any files. Only copy them in Second Life's directory.

For example, assuming you have Second Life in your home directory, like this:

/home/YourUserName/SecondLife

In there, you place the files:

libfontconfig.so

libfontconfig.so.1

libfontconfig.so.1.4.4

and then run Second Life.

Now, your case looks like a different issue. Did Second Life run OK in a previous Ubuntu version, at the same computer?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.