Auto-login without closing down/opening the viewer?

Kal Zemenis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4446 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I’m sure this question has been asked a million times. But I have yet to get a proper reason (other than the coding and testing and the servers) why it doesn’t exist.

Why does the SL Viewer, regardless of who makes it, get logged out and makes you reopen the viewer to login if, say, your internet blips out. I know a lot of people that have random internet crashes which resolve itself (as does mine) within a couple of seconds. This may happen a few times in the same hour/day etc etc. Especially when you’re in the middle of a role-play, and it’s your turn to post only that tadaaa! You’re busy trying to log back in by waiting for the viewer to re-open.

Like many other programs, such as AIM and MSN, you name it, there’s an auto-connect that connects you back without having to close the entire thing, then re-open it. I rarely use the LL viewer, so I can’t say if that exists in there or not. But it would be a great idea. But perhaps someone has a clue why this hasn’t been put in? I’m coding stupid and don’t have any idea about such things, thus why I ask.

It really does get annoying/frustrating when you have to close down and re-log.

I hope I posted this in the correct forum. If not, I apologize!

I've been asking the same question for over 6 years....

the technical reason is probably the simplistic method used to load configuration files for each user name... allowing a user to log out (or disconnect) to the startup screen means that logic has to be added to change the settings files. this isn't really a good excuse for why it was developed that way, but it is the technical reason for the current behavior.

however if you set up an auto-login link, especially one that prevents hardware checking (--noprobe) you can actually get back in pretty fast....

ref: ttp://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Client_parameters

Not exactly sure about the technical details, but i haven't seen a function like this in a MMO (roughly comparable to SL) either.

While MSN or ICQ or what not only need to know if or if not a user is online, in an environment like SL or an MMO there is probably a lot more that the client (Viewer) has to send to the server. And therefore an Autologin might be not possible.

Also not sure about certain security risks involved here. 

City of Heroes, Guild Wars, and I believe World of Warcraft (and a great many other streaming applications)... all have a default disconnect behavior that puts the user on the login screen rather than forcing you to close the app... while it's not the same as auto-reconnect, it is part of the problem, and something that should have been institued ages ago.

• 3 months later...

Hi Kal,

I actually have a DOS certification from eons ago and know how to use the windows command line but I am not familiar with what command line you are referring to in your explanation. I am gathering from the wiki that it is the shortcut for starting the viewer but most people reading this probably have no clue about that.

The SL wiki contained lots of parameters but was not specific enough. It doesn't tell what order the parameters have to be listed in. This is critical with DOS and with the Windows prompt, would it not be the same here? The SL wiki does not address this issue.  

The SL Wiki link you provided does not provide a workable example for the average person.

Also, if I am in SL when I get disconnected, how is this newly edited shortcut going to get me back in w/o closing my first window? My whole need is to not lose the chat conversation in my original window. Are you saying to open a second viewer window using the SL shortcut to log back in and then close this window, reverting to the first one? I tried this and it didn't work - it says to use the original window.

Right now, my viewer is sitting open and I don't want to close it for fear of losing the chat. We were having a technical discussion and i was given lots of code and other instructions that i don't want to lose. 

DEFAULT SL shortcut command line. "C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\SecondLife.exe"  --set InstallLanguage en

Could you please provide the edited version of this command line including the parameters you mentioned? 

This is what I am imagining that you are suggesting "C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\SecondLife.exe"  --autologin --noprobe --set InstallLanguage en 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4446 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.