Mesh reverts to convex hull when set physical

Vulpinus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm making a boat and the hull and deck are all one mesh. The deck is inset into the hull, so the sides of the hull are about a metre above the deck at most. *

Set to physics-shape-type=prim, the physics shape I made works. I can walk on the deck properly and get stopped by the sides of the hull.

However, when my sailing script makes the boat physical, the boat reverts to convex hull. My avatar instanly gets lifted to the highest point of the bounding box; sometimes being catapulted up into the air. If I'm sitting on the boat this is overriden by the animation, but anyone else trying to walk on the boat can't. Also, when the sailing script moors the boat and makes the boat non-physical, the convex hull remains and I get the catapulting again if I then stand, along with the passengers.

At that point, with the seemingly left-over convex hull, right-clicking the boat, then just clicking off it causes it to immediately revert to prim type and my avatar falls back to the deck.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this behaviour? It's completely spoiling the effect of a nice looking boat.

* the fact that the deck and hull are one piece doesn;t seem to matter. I tried with a seperate deck and I still get floated above the hull as above.

Also, I tried setting the physics shape type to prim in the script after turning off physics, to prevent the left-over convex hull issue but that had no effect.

ETA: Even just calling llSetStatus(STATUS_PHYSICS_PHYSICS,FALSE) causes the temporary convex-hull reversion, again reversable just by right-clicking the boat and clicking something else to deselect it. Why-oh-why can't things just work the way they are expected to?

Ahh... no. I didn't know that. I'll try on my next upload in a few hours.

ETA:

Thank you for that, it seems to have worked. So that's what the analyse button is for...

Now, back to the drawing board (again) for the improved version which I have spent all night splitting into parts to work around the issue. You have to laugh!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.