Sports & Related Gaming

Sean Martin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4278 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are a lot of sport games in Second Life. What are some of yours? Or which ones have you enjoyed playing?

I've posted one about Simball previously but it may not have been set in the right context.

So I'll start things in this category and post about Simball. Since it's what I know.

This video explains it:

The game is available at Vetox HQ

One of the top arena's has been in the Japan community: SIA

I used to work on a prototype for a balltype game that was incredibly fun! I'd like to finish and release it some day, but I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble. Games that need big setups can only be used by people with a good sim and ownng a good sim means investing a LOT of money. For this precise reason games like Simball are a bit hard to find after a while, as far as I have seen.

That is true. It does take some land to setup an arena.

One marketing aspect behind Simball is an event based attraction for tournaments, or simply being a hangout where friends run quick games. It is made more as a community tool. Sort of an alternative to placing a club out.

There have been some that run events really well over the past year.

In addition there is a network that will soon be automated.

Sometimes a single location doesn't cut it. A sim can only hold x amount of people after all.

So with community based sports, it only seems logical to allow others to setup their own arena's. And attempt to network them in some way. A single group for all of them. Or global feed showing the last game and what arena it was in. Which is what simball uses.

So when developing a game I would suggest keeping it social, but not central.

Connect & Play

Looking for a game? a good place to start would be as Sean mentioned above SIA (direct Slurl) , or one the many other 

arena's on the grid. To find out who's playing where just check the Simball Buzzline , a site that tracks simball games, players, 

and scores! (until official vetox feed is finalized)  

F2P 

If you know what f2p means you probably guessed its free, the basic board is.. pick one up and learn the controls or throw yourself in the middle of a game kamikaze style and see if its as easy as it looks on the simboard feed youtube channel, with links to a large selection of simboard related videos. Team Play is organic and fast, get some basic simboard fundamentals & you'll never want to stop. 

• 4 weeks later...

Like most people, I spent a lot of time wandering around SL looking for my place.  Ive made some good friends here, but still there lacked that sense of "community" that so many are looking for.  I was lucky enough to happen across Second Life Roller Derby. 

Roller Derby in SL is a face paced, hud based sport where teams compete against each other.  Psych0 Starship, creator of Second Life Roller Derby Association (SLRDA) has brought the RL action of Womens Roller Derby to SL. But what he has also done is create a community.  The Derby Girls of SLRDA come from all walks of life and experience levels.

So if you're looking for a strong community come and check out SLRDA. Recruiting is currently underway for the upcoming '12 season.  Applications can be found in the SLRDA Headquarters

• 9 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4278 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.