All viewers are crashing on my new ip connections

Nabjibah Beck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ok so i moved into a new rl place yesterday sunday 11.20.11 hooked up to wifi stated second life and with in 2-4 minutes i crashed so i tried 2 more times this was on Phoenix then i tried 3 times on FS and the 3 times on the sl viewer all with the same results this morning i hooked up a hardwire to m pc and it is still happening i opened m stats bar and i noticed that the ping hits 10000 and then i crash is there anything i can do the tech for my ip says it is sl nt the connection but i have never had this issue in the 5 years i have been on
Thank you
Nabjibah Beck

I changed internet providers a few months ago, and the new setup came with its own WiFi router.  I had been using SL over WiFi for 5 years, and it took me a while to figure out that the problem was the WiFi router provided by my new ISP.  When used with SL, I experienced massive packet loss, and any SL or 3rd party viewer would crash within a few minutes, most of the time. (It was 2WIRE router, I have since used several different 2WIRE routers, they all had issues with packet loss running SL and WiFi, but are well behaved if you plug in a cable)  I switched back to my old reliable WiFi router, and that worked too, but then I tried hooking up to the router with a cable, and it turned out that even my old reliable WiFi was giving me bouts of bad packet loss, and that most of the occasional bouts of bad lag I was blaming on SL were actually due to the WiFi.  I use a cable now, unless I have no other choice.  Note that WiFi runs in a spectral band where anything from garage door openers to microwaves can cause sporadic interference.

Another acnecdote:  Visiting my sister, I had to use WiFi.  My PC would not stay connected to SL, it crashed within minutes every time I tried.  I could make the problem go away by plugging in with a cable, but that was not very convenient.  So I tried downloading the viewer onto a newish MacBook Pro, and there it ran quite nicely over WiFi, no packet loss at all.  Evidently not all wifi hardware is created equal.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.