HP Laptop running a Radeon HD 6490M Graphics card

Hamish Podless

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

HP DV6 laptop doesn't normally have any issues running SL. (have used one myself).  If you are struggling with the secondlife viewer, it might be worth trying an alternative.  There are a number of approved viewers:

Third Party Viewers list.

Try one of these. I have found myself that occasionally some setting within Windows upsets the main SL viewer, but an alternative will work just fine.  Wierd but true! - Other than that there must be an underlying issue with your Windows install.  Check latest service packs, errors in the event log etc for clues.

Hello community.

Actually I do have the very same problem. Just got my HP Pavilion dv6. I am not able to get SL running either. Both graphic cards have up-to-date-drivers. Reinstalling the drivers didnt resolve the problem either.
After reading a lot it seems to be a problem that is caused by the two grpahic cards between which the laptop is switching. Obviously this powermanagement often causes issues with applications that use OpenGL such as SL. After several trial and errors of what ppl recommended in several forums I read something that is the only thing I havent tried yet because I think its too risky. This person recommended to update the BIOS then change the system to just use one praphic card, permitting the automatical switching. This is - in my opinion - not just risky (since I deny messing with the BIOS) but also completely contraproductive to the powermanagement of my laptop.
I cant believe that this shall be the only way to resolve this problem and that only for running Second Life. Every other game I installed are running perfectly fine. Just not SL - and I didnt try it with just one viewer but with like 4 or 5 :-(

Any idea what I can do?

Greetings, Nightflight Cheetah

PS: EDITed some mistakes

I just got an early xmas HP DV6 and it runs SL just fine... right out of the box. I"m using the Phoenix viewer.

I have read the note about needing to change (actually upgrade) the BIOS so that you can manually turn off (and on) the dynamic switching of GPUs. I was hoping that maybe the new(est) HP models might have fixed the dynamic switching algorithm---- but don't know how to tell yet. I can say that SL looks great on the DV6:).

Good luck.

TerrytheCatt

Since my previous reply to this question, I had time to check my HP DV6 laptop and found that it already had a BIOS version and GPU version that included the dynamic graphics switching fix.  So using the F10 Setup screen, I could simply change from "dynamic" to "fixed"...... and my Second Life graphics were GREATLY IMPROVED!  LOVE IT!

I purchased my DV6 on Nov. 11, 2011 directly from HP and it was a custom order.  If you have a DV6 that was purchased earlier in the year or from a retailer's inventory you might not have the BIOS and GPU driver installed.  Check before you take those steps on your own.  Good luck.

plz help.

i have the same pavilion dv6 with the radeon 6490m i cant get sl to work. i keep getting the msg that my drivers are not up to date or were wronly installed. i even brought it to a store to check the bios. everything is fine. still no sl. i have tried using the sl viewer, firestorm and phoenix nothing works. what can i do? plz plz plz help. im going thru a cold turkey-like sl detox.

Anyone figure this out? I have an HP probook s-series running windows 7 professional with a Radeon 6490m and can't run SL viewer, firestorm or phoenix. This is so frustrating!!! I get the same error everyone else is....about updating drivers etc. Think I'm finally done with SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.