Crashing with every viewer upon laptop lenovo t61 Windows XP 3yrs old. How do you fix this problem?

Hazel Cinderflame

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4591 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've had Firestorm, Ascent, Emerald, SL Viewer, Imprudence~ You name it.

Recently the viewers have been giving my problems. As such I would log in and lag slightly and then without warning Crash. Even if only SecondLife was running.

To try and fix this problem, I uninstalled Sl and even tried to see if a bit of info was still left in my program files, but sadly not.

The problem is still not yet fixed. I don't know if my laptop is getting too old to run Secondlife, or if any thing is causing it to crash and can be fixed so I can start running SL smoothly once more.

Lenovo T61, Microsoft Windows XP, Processor- Intel Dual Core, Ram-2022MB

This seems satisfactory to run SL on the lowest settings.

Any suggestions on how I could fix this?

4 answers to this question

The easiest way to tell us specs in not by telling us what the make and model is for you computer since there are always options that may or may not included with your computer but by launching your viewer and under the "Help" menu click on "About Second Life".  The basic specs of your computer will be listed.  Copy those and paste them back here so we can see them.........it helps  anyone who wants to help you.

Off the top of my head I think you might be having heat problems with your laptop.  The crashing you experience after a few minutes is a typical symptom of that problem.  First question:  You don't actually use your computer while on your laptop do you?.  Second question:  Are you using a cooling pad when you are on SL?

To answer or add information in "Answers" you have to use the "Options" at the top of your initial post for this thread and choose "Edit" (this is not forum software so you have to use a workaround).  The other, less desirable, way to tell us something or add to your thread is to use the "Permalink" at the bottom of the post you want to respond to........it puts a semi hidden post under the post you clicked the permalink button.  It can be difficult to find your post but that works too.  Not handy but it's all we got.

• Like 1

Second Life 3.0.3 (240895) Sep 15 2011 11:47:07 (Second Life Release)

Release Notes

You are at 307,385.0, 233,008.0, 49.2 in Alven located at sim9633.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.44.90:13002)

Second Life Server 11.09.23.241511

Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz (2094.75 MHz)

Memory: 2023 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Build 2600) compatibility mode. real ver: 6.0 (Build 2900)

Graphics Card Vendor: Intel

Graphics Card: Intel 965/963 Graphics Media Accelerator

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4785

OpenGL Version: 1.5.0 - Build 6.14.10.4785

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1

Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000

Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)

Voice Server Version: Not Connected

Built with MSVC version 1600

Packets Lost: 0/2,944 (0.0%)

Second Life 3.0.3 (240895) Sep 15 2011 11:47:07 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

You are at 307,385.0, 233,008.0, 49.2 in Alven located at sim9633.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.44.90:13002)
Second Life Server 11.09.23.241511
Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz (2094.75 MHz)
Memory: 2023 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Build 2600) compatibility mode. real ver: 6.0 (Build 2900)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel 965/963 Graphics Media Accelerator

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4785
OpenGL Version: 1.5.0 - Build 6.14.10.4785

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 0/2,944 (0.0%)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I highlighted the three major areas that all contribute to your crashing problem.  The system memory is probably okay but with your graphics being the Intel onboard graphics accelerator that no onboard video memory, it must get that from your system memory........that makes your system memory effectively about 512 megs (at a mimium) lower which is marginal.

The video, in addition to what I alreay mentioned is not designed for 3D graphics.  It's a bare basics video adapter that allows some mediocre 2D graphics, video streaming, word processing, most graphics that you would encounter on the Internet or some business applications..........and just barely run 3D graphics at minimum settings (but not 3D graphics that are as intensive as SL).  You were lucky to get SL to run in the first place.

The OpenGL version is pretty outdated.  OpenGL rendering is now up to version 4.x.x now.  I'm sure that's to keep up with DirectX 11 so expect OpenGL to keep pilling the new features and capabilities (and consequently version updates).  A graphics driver update may fix that to OpenGL 2.xx which will work with SL.  You'll have to go to Lenovo's driver update site for your driver.

The three parts of your specs that I highlighted combined is enough to cause your crashes........especially using SL Viewer 3.0.3 (the viewer that uses the latest mesh rendering, plus all the stuff Viewer 2.8.3 used).  It's the most feature rich viewer available for use in SL.  You can try using the old viewer 1.23 that LL still allows connection to the grid and is the lowest viewer in features you can run except some of the specialized third party viewers (I don't know which viewer those are though).  There's still the posibility that your computer is overheating too.

The short of it is that SL had outgrown your computer.  It's not that your computer is too old.  It's that it wasn't a particularly high performing computer when it was brand new........a simple, average performing laptop designed for business applications or student classroom software.  I'm sure you paid a pretty penny for it being it's a Lenovo (Lenovo builds good computers..........but they are over priced, even today).  I'm sorry to be the one with the bad news.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4591 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.