SL Viewer Crashes...

Lorraina McDonnell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My SL Viewer crashes... most annoying is that I HAVE to restart my computer to be able to reload SL. I dont know what is causing this.

Dell

Inspiron 560S

Pentenium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5700 @ 3.00GHz 3.00GHz 

2.00GB RAM

64-Bit Windows 7

editing to add that it crashed like this three times in a row tonight. I am ready to give up until this is fixed.

First I just want to say that it ain't going to fix itself.  So if you are waiting until "this is fixed", you are looking at a very long wait.  It's your computer, you have access to it and no one here can jump through the Internet to fix it for you.  We can, however, offer some suggestions to try to help you fix it yourself.  All anyone needs is some information and specifications for the computer you purchased.  The information you provided is pretty brief and not really helpful.  You crash is about the only useful part of what is happening along with having to restart your computer to be able to load SL again.  That does not tell us if your viewer is crashing or if your system is crashing..........it sounds like your system is crashing to me but I won't swear to that.  Maybe if you tell us what happens when you crash and what happens if you try to log in without restarting.........or can you even get your computer to do anything at all after your crash?  Are there any error messages when you crash?  Is there a general time frame after logging in when the crash occurs?  Is there any telltale signs just before you crash?  When you crash do you just wind up at your desktop?  Does your system lock up?  Answers to some or all those questions will give clues for someone to try to help.........without useful information everything will be just a guess and probably not in the least bit helpful.

System specifications are important.  I looked up the Inspiron 560S to try to find out what your graphics adapter/card is.  It didn't help me much at all since your graphics could be either the onboard Intel GMA X4500 IGP or an optional discrete PCI express (x16) card........and there are quite a few cards that meet that discription that could be in your machine.  Graphics are very important for SL.........after all it's a real time 3D graphics invironment and graphics adapters/cards are the heart of any program like SL.  Launch the viewer but don't log in.  Under the "Help" menu click "About Second Life".  Copy and paste back here the specs listed..........those are basic specs that the viewer reports to the servers when you log into SL.  It will help anyone trying to help you.

That does not tell us if your viewer is crashing or if your system is crashing: The viewer crashes. 

Maybe if you tell us what happens when you crash and what happens if you try to log in without restarting.........or can you even get your computer to do anything at all after your crash? I get the spinning circle and then when I click the close button it tells me SL is not responding close or wait for program to respond. The SL screen has gone white at this point. SL will not close down. If I log out of my Windows profile it will close the window but will not let me sign in again it will tell me its already running and to restart my PC if it continues.

Are there any error messages when you crash? No errors it just stops

Is there a general time frame after logging in when the crash occurs? Its different every time. The first time tonight I had been in SL for at least 2 hours. restarted my computer and it crashed within 5 minutes, restarted again and crashed again within 5 minutes

Is there any telltale signs just before you crash?  The SL window kindof flashes (for lack of a better description) then nothing... the spinning circle.

When you crash do you just wind up at your desktop? the SL window stays open and has a transparent white layer over it

Does your system lock up? Nope, I can run my browser (firefox) and do everything else but close the SL window or start a new session.

Second Life 3.0.0 (238864) Aug 18 2011 13:05:38 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Pentium® Dual-Core  CPU      E5700  @ 3.00GHz (2992.5 MHz)
Memory: 2013 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel® G45/G43 Express Chipset

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.15.0010.2202
OpenGL Version: 2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2202

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

That does not tell us if your viewer is crashing or if your system is crashing: The viewer crashes. 

Maybe if you tell us what happens when you crash and what happens if you try to log in without restarting.........or can you even get your computer to do anything at all after your crash? I get the spinning circle and then when I click the close button it tells me SL is not responding close or wait for program to respond. The SL screen has gone white at this point. SL will not close down. If I log out of my Windows profile it will close the window but will not let me sign in again it will tell me its already running and to restart my PC if it continues.

Are there any error messages when you crash? No errors it just stops

Is there a general time frame after logging in when the crash occurs? Its different every time. The first time tonight I had been in SL for at least 2 hours. restarted my computer and it crashed within 5 minutes, restarted again and crashed again within 5 minutes

Is there any telltale signs just before you crash?  The SL window kindof flashes (for lack of a better description) then nothing... the spinning circle.

When you crash do you just wind up at your desktop? the SL window stays open and has a transparent white layer over it

Does your system lock up? Nope, I can run my browser (firefox) and do everything else but close the SL window or start a new session.

Second Life 3.0.0 (238864) Aug 18 2011 13:05:38 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Pentium® Dual-Core  CPU      E5700  @ 3.00GHz (2992.5 MHz)
Memory: 2013 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel® G45/G43 Express Chipset

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.15.0010.2202
OpenGL Version: 2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2202

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

• 2 months later...

Lorraina

I have to agree...SL viewer 3 crashes for myself, too and many people that I have spoken to. My computer is new with twice the RAM and a gaming graphics card. It has nothing at all to do with the computers...it is the viewer. I can attempt to log in...but at the point where the program begins to open...it immediately stops and no matter how many times I try it...I cannot make it all the way into SL.

It must be a bug in the program itself. I can only use phoenix to successfully log into SL. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.