In world servers

Fillo Farber

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I need to make an update server to support a product I'm working on and I don't want to go through a website to do this. The obvious problem with rezzing a server in world that its UUID is subject to change by accident or other event. It seems reasonable to use a backup server that could send the products a new primary server UUID if required.

I'm interested learning any methods some of you have used to provide a stable support server (without use of an external link). Also I was also considering Linden Lab's magic box hosting service as a secure location for the server. Has anyone ever inquired about doing this with LL?

First, you must know that it's virtually impossible to change the key of an object in-world.You can make it cross borders, attach and drop, the region can undergo rolling restarts, the key will stay the same. (I'm not 100% sure but I think to remember you can even TP with the object attached to your AV.)

Any way, it's (relatively) safe to give the key of your server to whatever will need to talk to it. A mail will always work.

I know of a few servers which have been using the same key for years.

Still, I'd use llHTTPRequest() for speed reasons and revert to mail only when it fails, to get the new URL of the server.

You don't want to use an external link but you should consider a fake DNS on Google App Engine. (Just a little script to install outside of SL which will manage names and URL.) As along as you use it only to get the URL of your server, it's very reliable (and free). That's the method I've been using for all my in-world servers since... hmmm... since http_in was released. This avoid the insane delay you get with mails and you don't have to worry about if your key will change or not.

All about fake DNS on GAE and LSL from the forums archives: Click here!

a side note on moving.... there was a time when TP's "might" cause a uuid change, at least some people reported such, but like Kaluura I don't think that is the case any more.

if the land is set to build as a group role or group only, you will not be able to trigger drop unless your group tags are activated, if you don't have build permissions, you won't be able to drop.

I'll admit I am a bit a-nal (wow that got bleeped?) about making things as foolproof as possible. There's a bone in my head that makes me that way. I should probably get that taken out some time...  Anyway I like the fake DNS idea. I looks like it is explained well in that link that Kaluura posted. Thanks a bunch for the great info folks!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.