Player following me around a sim?

malebride

Question

Hello, I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced a situation similar to this:

I was in a sim, previously empty, but occasionally gets other visitors. I'm used to other visitors just casually minding their own business, and I mind my own business as well.
Though, occasionally, a player will come into the sim, and some time after noticing I'm there, teleport right to me and start following close behind me, even if I walk away. Usually they don't talk to me, just follow me, as long as I'm within the same sim.

I tend to hide other players on the sim when I'm just exploring (to reduce lag) so I can't fathom what they might've been doing.
Please do know that I'm not looking for a way to "prevent" this, as usually teleporting to an entirely different sim gets them to leave me alone.

I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this? What is the reason that some players do this, or why might this be happening? Is it just someone being a creep, or is it some kind of bot? Do I need to be worried? This is mostly just to soothe some paranoia that some player isn't doing some kind of griefing or anything.

Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

On 3/24/2024 at 5:34 AM, malebride said:

Hello, I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced a situation similar to this:

I was in a sim, previously empty, but occasionally gets other visitors. I'm used to other visitors just casually minding their own business, and I mind my own business as well.
Though, occasionally, a player will come into the sim, and some time after noticing I'm there, teleport right to me and start following close behind me, even if I walk away. Usually they don't talk to me, just follow me, as long as I'm within the same sim.

I tend to hide other players on the sim when I'm just exploring (to reduce lag) so I can't fathom what they might've been doing.
Please do know that I'm not looking for a way to "prevent" this, as usually teleporting to an entirely different sim gets them to leave me alone.

I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this? What is the reason that some players do this, or why might this be happening? Is it just someone being a creep, or is it some kind of bot? Do I need to be worried? This is mostly just to soothe some paranoia that some player isn't doing some kind of griefing or anything.

Thanks in advance.

Probably a bot with a follow script.  Might be a malfunctioning bot.  I would block and de-render them, and forget they're there, unless I plan to do a lot of talking in main or something.  Having de-rendered and blocked people around when you are talking in main can cause some confusion.

• Like 2

There are Follow HUDs and also Bots that do this behavior. Sometimes the HUDs are for a vampire system or just for annoyance. You're welcome to block them or sit your avatar down with ctrl+s so they can't follow you anywhere and wait for them to leave. It's up to you on how you'd like to handle it. This isn't an official "harassment" issue, just a troll/annoyance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia said:

Probably a bot with a follow script.  Might be a malfunctioning bot.  I would block and de-render them, and forget they're there, unless I plan to do a lot of talking in main or something.  Having de-rendered and blocked people around when you are talking in main can cause some confusion.

3 hours ago, Zambe Boo said:

There are Follow HUDs and also Bots that do this behavior. Sometimes the HUDs are for a vampire system or just for annoyance. You're welcome to block them or sit your avatar down with ctrl+s so they can't follow you anywhere and wait for them to leave. It's up to you on how you'd like to handle it. This isn't an official "harassment" issue, just a troll/annoyance.

Thanks for the answers! I appreciate it, even if it turned out to be a trivial issue. I figured it was something along those lines, but just wanted to make sure, since I've heard the occasional horror stories, haha.

• Like 1