Graphics Driver Problem (Or is it?)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

image.png.61c9579bf73eb48c630072193f427b59.png

I am able to download and install the viewer, but it won't launch. 

I have an 8GB memory and Intel graphics on Windows 10.

So far I have done the following:

1.   Updated the graphics drivers via the Intel website
2.   Whitelisted the Secondlife folder/file/process in my Firewall
3.   Tried both the 64-bit and the 32-bit viewer versions
4.   Tried a third-party viewer, but the problem persists.

Now I'm out of options and getting very frustrated. This doesn't make sense.

image.png.425406f4e603d22ae97a66eae88f8381.png

Edited by LEGl0N
I attached the correct image.

I do not believe GMA4500 still works with Windows 10, I believe the last few driver versions for that hardware on windows are running a compatibility mode to be mostly functional. Even then I’m not sure if that igpu is supported by SecondLifes engine anymore. I’ll look into this a bit more, I have an SL510 on a shelf.

edit: looking into this more and playing around with my SL510, outright incompatibility with the drivers for GMA4500 on windows 10 is your major culprit. The driver releases out there are from major manufacturers like Dell, hp, or in the case of your SL410, Lenovo. And they’re not exactly graphics drivers like you’d have gotten prior on the machine, they’re more like adaptations to the built in Microsoft driver that let it use native display resolutions and video acceleration. 
Basically you’re closer to the Microsoft default driver than a proper graphics driver.

There are third party modded driver options for windows 10 but they’re hit and miss with different versions of windows 10. Most people find success using them on stationary installs like how Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC works.

You may have better luck installing Linux and using SL on Linux, since that will have somewhat more up to date driver support or at least fully functional driver support. Or installing windows 7 and using older drivers for GMA 4500 that were meant for windows 7, but then you do have the issue of viewer support on 7 being questionable.

Simply put your Thinkpad as it’s currently configured isn’t up to the task of running SL from a pure compatibility standpoint. The hardware can do it, I’ve played on far less, but unless you run modded drivers or switch to Linux your integrated graphics will not be fully functional, and without that all SecondLife sees is a default display driver which doesn’t have the feature set required to play SL.

All that aside, that generation of thinkpad SL series is from 2009. It was not going to play SL particularly well to begin with and I would advise looking at a different machine entirely.

Edited by gwynchisholm
  • Like 3

Not that I think you'll have a particularly nice experience on SL in 2023 with that chip but I had a look around and someone has created a Windows 10 driver that *should* allow Firestorm to run (it uses OpenGL, this driver enables it): https://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/130380-custom-driver-intel-gma-4500-mhd-extreme-plus-nighmayor.html?s=bfa006ea32d914198b07ad8c9cd46aa6

Buyer beware when messing with modified drivers of course.

Edited by AmeliaJ08

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.