how to remove flickering textures?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Flickering textures sounds like you have prims/mesh faces overlapping, perhaps with one just a tiny fraction behind the other. Move away a bit and the viewer loses the ability to differentiate them so they alternate, and one face flickers in and out of the other. Does that sound like it? It's one of the annoyances trying to build stuff from parts; SL isn't all that accurate about placement.

Or... do you mean illumination is flickering on surfaces? That's usually because you have turned away from the light source. Once the light source itself is out of your field of view, the viewer tends to forget about it and the illumination goes away. Yet another annoyance.

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rick Nightingale said:

Flickering textures sounds like you have prims/mesh faces overlapping, perhaps with one just a tiny fraction behind the other. Move away a bit and the viewer loses the ability to differentiate them so they alternate, and one face flickers in and out of the other. Does that sound like it? It's one of the annoyances trying to build stuff from parts; SL isn't all that accurate about placement.

Or... do you mean illumination is flickering on surfaces? That't usually because you have turned away from the light source. Once the light source is out of your view, the viewer tends to forget about it and the light goes away. Yet another annoyance.

Sounds like the second thing is whats happening, 

If you do not have ALM on, there is a low limit to the maximum number of light sources the viewer will render too. I don't recall what but it's not many. With ALM on I don't think there is a fixed limit, but what I said above still happens a lot. It's a pain in my own build.

One way I get around it is to make sure that light sources can only just illuminate the room they are in, by setting the distance of them, or using projectors rather than all-round point sources. That stops lights shining into the floor above too. Whatever you can do to minimise the number of lights effecting a room like that will help. I wish point source lights would stop at walls naturally instead of shining right through.

You could also try linking the light source (if possible) to the ceiling, which will make the whole object still in view as long as you can see the ceiling. Must admit I've not tried that myself as my builds don't have a simple ceiling to link to like that without complications.

Edited by Rick Nightingale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.