Clothing with multiple mesh options: Is there a more efficient way?

Consaidin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm nearing the end of a shirt meshing project, and I've modelled three different sleeve versions for it and a couple of different collars 😆 

I could split the iterations into different shirts, but I've been toying with the idea of making a hud where people can choose which sleeve/collar etc on the one model. It seems transparent parts (alpha) increase complexity, however - is this so? So walking around with essentially several different mesh pieces and only a few of them visible might be too taxing on viewers, I'm thinking?

Does this make the concept non-viable? With hair that has style huds, I figure it's not as bad because the tris are probably low enough to justify

1 hour ago, Consaidin said:

I could split the iterations into different shirts, but I've been toying with the idea of making a hud where people can choose which sleeve/collar etc on the one model. It seems transparent parts (alpha) increase complexity, however - is this so? So walking around with essentially several different mesh pieces and only a few of them visible might be too taxing on viewers, I'm thinking?

If I recall correctly from the viewer source, if the alpha is set to 100% (not just a fully transparent texture; the alpha property of the object has to be set), the surface will be skipped for rendering. Those meshes/textures will still be downloaded, so they will still have some impact on performance.

Personally, I would prefer having separate shirts, or at least a modifiable product so I can unlink the parts I don't need (and delete the scripts).

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

If I recall correctly from the viewer source, if the alpha is set to 100% (not just a fully transparent texture; the alpha property of the object has to be set), the surface will be skipped for rendering. Those meshes/textures will still be downloaded, so they will still have some impact on performance.

Personally, I would prefer having separate shirts, or at least a modifiable product so I can unlink the parts I don't need (and delete the scripts).

Got it, and thanks for the input - I appreciate it!

My only issue with mod is where I want to provide certain colours for less than the fatpack, I think people will be able to tint pale clothing as they please, which defeats the purpose of colours/fatpacks to an extent for me? 

I was considering only making the pale colours no mod in order to provide mod versions, or just making the fatpack versions fully mod?

This is a little bit off the original topic, but I was wondering what your thoughts might be on this?

16 minutes ago, Consaidin said:

Got it, and thanks for the input - I appreciate it!

My only issue with mod is where I want to provide certain colours for less than the fatpack, I think people will be able to tint pale clothing as they please, which defeats the purpose of colours/fatpacks to an extent for me? 

I was considering only making the pale colours no mod in order to provide mod versions, or just making the fatpack versions fully mod?

This is a little bit off the original topic, but I was wondering what your thoughts might be on this?

Depending on how your textures are detailed, tinting a pale color will "wash out" details like highlights. It's not always worth doing, but not having the option to slightly tint the clothing to match the rest of my outfit can be a deal-breaker.

Making fatpacks modifiable would be fine, but not ideal. I don't think it's appropriate to make money out of simple color options (and disabling all other customization in the process, like renaming the object or linking other clothes/accessories to reduce attachment count, etc).

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.