Looking for an audio playback script or prim for tours

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I operate a large in-world National Forest.  I want to set up self directed tours, I already have tour stopping point signs that point the way and an accompanying notecard with landmarks, currently the signs display a message in chat when yo touch them.  What I would love is if I could record audio messages, put them in a prim or in the signs, then when people touch them the message is played audibly, similar to voicing.  RL museums use this sort of thing.  Anyone have any idea of how I could accomplish this?  Are there already devices in SL that do this?  Thank you!

There are ~3 different methods (that I can think of at the moment) of implementing that each with advantages and disadvantages:

1. Old "music box" technique. Sound files hosted on SL servers need to be split up into 10 second snippets, and cost 10L$ per snippet (unless you're premium plus) to upload. There are a wide variety of free or inexpensive scripts available that can stitch the 10 second clips back together into something that plays back well enough.
  2. Parcel media. See https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlParcelMediaCommandList It's not too hard to direct an audio file at a specific avatar, but on the user end of that technique, it can be really easy to miss the pop-up notification asking if you would like to hear the audio.
  3. Media on a prim.(also called 'shared media') See Basically, you can make a web-browser tab appear on any face of an object in SL, and you actually don't even need a script for it. In addition to the steps listed on that page, you'll want to adjust the settings so that the media is not automatically played when it comes into view. (Firestorm aggressively enforces click-to-play media, but in other viewers media can turn on automatically from a very far distance unless the settings are checked correctly)

Options 2 and 3 require you to have a somewhat reliable 3rd party hosting service to store the audio on.

Edited by Quistess Alpha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.