Connections: Second Life, Art, Photography and RL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1000 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What I have to say may seem obvious to some -- but I'm not sure it's so to everyone.  Here goes.

A lot of art and photography is about breaking down barriers and doing things differently -- so it surprises me a bit to see how infrequently we cross fertilize.  I belong to the Flickr group sponsored by Second Life's FOCUS Magazine -- and I post a lot of inworld photography there, but beyond that, I draw in RL.  I have posted some of my pencil and pen work in our Flickr group -- and I've exhibited some of my RL art right alongside my SL photography in an SL gallery or two also.  Beyond that, however, I have done Gyazo shots of SL artwork many times and shared them with RL artist friends -- both  via emails and on my Facebook pages.  (I'm amazed at criticism of Facebook as being boring! Only if you have boring friends!)  Speaking of Facebook, there are all kinds of art sites there.  I have FB friends like Phil (an expat oil painter in Madrid)  and Jerry (photographer and artist in Washington State) and Elena (a photographer in Madrid).  There is a lot of art and quality photography on Facebook!

And then there are websites.  FOCUS Magazine has a website where my non-SL friends can browse current and back issues to see what's being done within Second Life.  Unfortunately, most of my RL friends seem intrigued by SL, but are way too busy to come down the rabbit hole with Alice and me to explore Wonderland.  So I bring things out to them. Or just point them to places where they can explore on their own "outside of" SL. 

Oh, and another way to do mashups.  Take photos shot in SL, post them to Flickr, add music links from YouTube and -- wow!  The visual experience is enhanced with music or sound effects that intensify the experience.  

I am trying here to encourage more folks to build new bridges -- linking our many worlds.  What's happening in SL is just too good not to share!  And what's going on outside it critical (in my opinion) to keep SL from becoming parochial and stale.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1000 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.