Issue with Region Handshake (Old Issue, I know... *le sigh*)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4717 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

K, heres the deal. I've researched, and read, and troubleshooted, and everything else I can think of to fix this. I've about had it with this issue simply because I can not get past it. Before I upgraded my OS to Win 7 32 (previously XP 32) I had no problems connecting to the SL servers, minus the usual Windstream Service Brown-Outs.

For those who see this and are like "Soooo.. whats the problem?" When I try to join the SL server, it goes through the usual login process. When it gets to the "Waiting for Region Handshake..." part, the viewer freezes. Heres where the problem starts. From all my research, I've gathered that SL uses a "passive" communication system meaning that the Client PC has to initiate comms with the server. Whatever... Moving on. I've also gathered that the "waiting for region handshake..." is where the server attempts to communicate with the client. If there is no response, the viewer "hangs" on this portion of the login process. Please see below for steps completed as far as troubleshooting.

My Rig:

EVGA NForce 790i FTW, EVGA NVIDIA GTX 285. That should be all you need to know about it. All drivers are current all the way down to the BIOS.

Troubleshooting Completed:

Uninstalled-Reinstalled, Cleared Settings/Cache Folder for All SL Viewers, Disabled PC Firewall, Forwarded Ports in Router, Made my PC the DMZ, Changed Log-in Zone (region), Tried 5 different 3rd Party Viewers... SL2, Phoenix, Firestorm, Emergence, Immprudence (sp?), Kirstens... Nothing has worked. I'm hardwired to a hub connected directly to my DSL Router. I don't have my PC connected to wireless at the moment due to the "extra" firewall it creates in my LAN.

Any help with this from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Tag

HEY!!!! I am having the SAME prob all of a sudden!  I logged on this morn np, but tonight???? ZILCH!   I currently have 3 machines, 1 PC on Vista, lappy on Windows 7 brand new, and old PC on XP.   I can't use either SL viewer OR Phoenix  viewer on Laptop OR Vista PC.  ONLY on my ancient PC!  It runs fine, but I'm so annoyed!  I'm not sure what happened in that 12 hour span of when I last logged on, maybe the gods got mad that I went to the RL beach?!?!?  I've switched around cables, restarted my modem, router, uninstalled, cleared cache...etc...also deleted old log files....HELP!  It's not Norton, I don't have that on my laptop!

signed,

Frustrated in St. Pete!

usually, "waiting for region handshake..." failures are due to poor network conditions... the big culprit is wireless (which you've eleiminated), but also sometimes a bad region server, or your ISP (you mentioned brownouts?)

If logging in to a different region doesn't help, then I would suspect ISP trouble... and immediately check my ping times and bandwidth to phoenix , az and fort worth, tx to see if connection to those two locales is choppy (if it is, there's your problem)

for you case Ki, since it seems to be a different behavior for your current PC's but not the old one I would double check things that might have changed automatically on the new ones... something new from auto-update or a new virus checker file perhaps?

• 1 month later...

I live in Antwerp, Belgium, and have the same issue. Just signed up and can't connect to the server because the Second Life boot-up hangs at the "waiting for regional handshake" stage and then tells me there seems to be no internet connection.

I've ran speed-tests at Speedtest.net and these are the results:

Local (Brussels server): Ping: 35ms / 19.02mbps Down / 1.88mbps Up

Arizona (Phoenix server): Ping 374ms / 2.65mbps Down / 0.97mbps Up

So, for me it's clearly a distance issue...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I posted over a month ago about this, it is definitely something to do with SL, NOT me.  After I was blocked on 2 out of my 3 PC's and laptop (my super old PC worked!), I had to travel.  Went on my trip, and like magic, I could log on with no problems.  I went from Florida to Boston.  When I returned, I had no problem logging on back at home.  VERY ODD.  Now I am having the same problem again.  This is so frustrating!  I think I'll go to Starbucks up the street with my lappy and test that location out.  I'll let you know what happens!  :matte-motes-crying:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4717 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.