How to become a Model in SL?

Shazzarr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2935 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am not a model in Second Life but I have done some training through the Miss Virtual World Modelling Academy. I have the most experience with them but there are other reputable schools out there as well.  What I can tell you is that the training I received was extremely useful for anyone in Second Life not just those aspiring to be models.  They will teach you about shapes, animations, posing, skins, adjusting your appearance, sizing your avatar, editing clothing, putting an animation overrider together with walks and poses, and are a constant resource for how to do things or where to find things (just to name a few things).  They will also teach you about the backstage production of a fashion show (or really any show because it can be applied to any live event in Second Life).  But be forewarned - this knowledge will NOT come cheap. 

I know most people think that the costs of taking a comprehensive modelling course is expensive but I wish that I had done it long ago.  What I learned there would have saved me a ton of Lindens by saving me from buying things that just dont work when it comes to basic avatar necessities (skins, shape, animation, hair, etc).  So in the end - you pay alot at the start but you will learn so much that its worth it.  But Lindens aren't the only thing I'm talking about.  Im talking about TIME investments.  

Prepare to spend hours searching for just the right poses to go with that formal gown that has a huge adornment at the back that gets in the way, or making sure that no strands of hair are cutting into your clothing or avatar. Be prepared to relearn how to walk in Second Life and do stops, stands, movements that create a seamless performance.  Also be prepared to do alot of real life research for what look designers are after when it comes to styling.  Some of the ones I had to research was Harajuko (which as about 5 different subcategories that have not much to do with the outfits that Gwen Stefani's entourage wore) and avante garde.  But that was also fun in that I seen firsthand just how amazing and unique some of the designers are here in Second Life.  We also styled from real life runway looks - I watched several Chanel shows to get a feel for the overall look Lagerfeld created for that fashion house).  The best of the best in the modelling world spent a huge amount of time working on those kinds of things long before they were asked to do the fashion shows or print ads for the biggest names in SL fashion.  The attention they showed to detail and their willingness to pursue the absolute best looking, well put together avatar possible is visible just by looking at them.   But not all the people that are well known in the fashion world in Second Life are models.  Some have branched out and started stores selling various things (clothing, poses, etc), do blogging,or created regular shopping events.  I would also think of that kind of thing - what do you want to accomplish by modelling?  

Just a small note here too - please do not think that models make alot of money - because they don't! Even if they get a sweet deal with a designer there are always going to be new poses, new hair, new skins, eyes, animations, etc to buy to stay current that will NOT come for free. 

The other thing is attitude.  Just like in real life - Second Life modelling can be a cutthroat industry to be in.    I have met some really awesome people though that are willing to give of their time and talents - just to help people in need.  Those are the best models - those are the "Audrey Hepburn" models.  And I say that name because she was a fashion icon but also a humanitarian one.   There are a huge amount of models in Second Life whose "physical" beauty is replaceable by another pretty set of pixels but the heart that those models have shown towards others can't be.  I consider it an honor to call some of those kinds of models friends.  

So I guess thats what I will sign off with - really think about what you can bring to the modelling world, what you want to accomplish with it in Second Life, what kinds of things you would like to do that might not be modelling.  And then if you still want to go for it - let me know - and I will recommend some people to you.  In game name is Yhishara Cerise.  I have messages set to go to my email if Im not online.  

Good luck!!  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2935 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.