Looking For Help With Photoshop Layers (Adding Embellishments To Clothing).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I am looking for some help with Photoshop and my clothing creations.  I wouldn't say that I'm a newbie at clothes but I'm definitely still a beginner and have lots to learn.  I bought some patches and embellisments from the marketplace, but I am having trouble adding them as a new layer on top of jeans.  I drag and drop, but the patch has a white background and is too large.  I don't know a whole lot about Photoshop either, I'm still testing the waters.  Anyways, I have searched high and low, in world and out, youtube, etc., and I have no clue how to fix this.  Can anyone please tell me the correct way to add embellishments as a layer and how to get rid of the white and resize?  Thank you in advance :)

Martina Maximus

Select your jeans image, and then pick "Image --> Image Size" from the menu. Note the dimensions, then switch to the other image, select "Image --> Image Size" again, and enter the same values.

As for the white background, you probably have several layers in your image. A white background layer and a layer with the embellishment. If not, you need to create a selection around the embellishment, for example with the magic wand or the lasso tool, press ctrl + C to copy the selected area, select the target image and press ctrl + V.

(There are also more precise ways to create a selection. You might want to google for a tutorial on Photoshop's quick mask mode, or the pen tool to create paths).

PS: The final image should be 512 x 512 pixels large before uploading, although some designers use 1024 x 1024. The larger size is supposed to give a slightly better image quality, since the SL client does a very good job at resizing, but large textures also lead to a longer baking time (baking = composing the avatar texture from skin and clothing textures).

• Like 2

It could also be that the embellishment image comes with an alpha mask, which saves you the work of creating your own mask or selection.

Click the Channels tab in the Layers / Channels / Paths window. If you can't find it, go to "Windows --> Channels" in the menu. You should see the channels RGB, Red, Green and Blue. If there is a fifth entry, which is usually named "Alpha 1", you already have a mask that can be turned into a selection.

To do so, go to "Selection --> Load Selection" and pick the name of your alpha channel from the list. Then press ctrl + C (or go to Edit --> Copy), select the destination image, and press ctrl + V (which is the same as Edit --> Paste).

• Like 2

You can use your Magic Wand Tool and left click on the white part and choose delete.   Make sure you check off contiguous from the top menu.  To resize on the pc, you can use Control+T which is transform.  Be sure you are on the right layer (the layer with the embellishment and that you have deselected the the item.  You use your move tool, the black arrow in the top corner of the move box to use the bounding boxes to resize.   If your still stuck, send me an im in second life.  I will come see if I can help you.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.