Uploading Photos

Hermann Farlight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

When I upload photos to SL they are stored in my inventory as textures. When I add them to a prim, they appear very unsharp. I'm uploading jpg files; I've tried varies sizes and resolutions but it doesnt seem to matter.  Any advice would be appreciated to solve this quandry.

Thanks in advance!!

HF

3 answers to this question

Try saving as .tga files. I use both and have no problems, but a lot has to do with the program you use to save the files. Also, it often takes time for a texture to appear clear when placed on a prim, especially if it a large file, like 1024 or more.

It also depends greatly on initial resolution and image size.  When I upload a photo or image I crop and resize it to get as close to SL's method of saving them (512x512, 256x256, 512x256, 1024x512, etc.) depending on what the image is and what it's going to be used for.

Always resize or resample your images in your graphics application; never trust SL's compression.  Make sure your jpgs are compressed at a very low level to retain as much clarity as possible.  TGAs and PNGs work well too depending on if you need the extra alpha layers or not.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.