Help with Fitted Mesh rig in 3dsmax

Iki Akiri

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2947 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone!

I'm encountering a few problems with my 3dsmax rig that I've only just noticed since attempting a fitted item of clothing.

I've been skinning to the new fitted mesh rig, provided by LL, rescaled to 1.8m as I have been in the past with the SLAV rig.

The main problem I'm encountering is that while the rig works perfectly with minimal cutting in max, on import it doesn't work the same.

I assumed this was because I was working on the test avatar and importing to my shape (Which theoretically should work somewhat with fitted mesh anyway, but that's not the case)

Here's an example of what the mesh looks like in max, on my shape and on Firestorm's "Test Avatar" .

test avatar.jpg

myshape.jpg

max.jpg

Please disregard my smoking hot avatar.

As you can see, there's significantly more cutting through than on the Max rig. When pulling and pushing the collision bones in and out, the mesh moves fine with them too. It's perfectly functional in max; but when importing it's just.. Off.

I'm not sure what is causing this but if any of you have solved this problem it'd be great to know!

I'm also wondering if it's just "One of those things" and I just have to leave a bit of room for the deformations; but since this is new I haven't heard much about it!

Thank you in advance :)

Hi Iki,
You are running into the basic problem with Fitted Mesh.
Because the avatar in SL does not change shape using the same method as Fitted Mesh very tight fitting or mesh clothing that shows a lot of skin Fitted Mesh does not work that well for.

It has to do with the fact that the SL avatar changes most of its shape by using Morphs while Fitted Mesh changes the shape of the Fitted Mesh clothing by changing the scales of the Collision Bones.

For your particular mesh dress you made you need to do two things.  Make the bottom of the skirt not so tight fitting and apply an alpha to hide all the skin that is supposed to be covered by the clothes.

Here's a link to a recent post I made showing that if LL would just add sliders in the Editing Appearance menus that controlled just the Collision Bones the problems you are showing on your avatar here could be easily fixed.  Here's a link if you like to read my post.  I posted photos demonstrating that it would work because I made sliders for my viewer.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Custom-Sliders-for-Fitted-Mesh-a-Solution/td-p/2495979

Hope that helps. :)
Cathy

Hey! Thanks for your advice, I figured fitted mesh wasn't 100% perfect so thanks for that clarification.

I was mainly worried about the legs as I didn't have an alpha made yet so the breasts were able to be fixed; but the legs weren't.

I checked out your thread - great idea! I hope someone picks up on it and it's added to the viewer. It'd save us all so much hassle!

• 2 years later...

I face these problems all the time. Well I use mixed rig in 3ds max. Which contains standard 5 sizes, a shape similar to Slink's and another similar to Maitreya (not the original which I cant get :matte-motes-asleep: ). 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2947 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.