Please help me with exporting from Maya

Nessima Bellic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all!

I'm really glad for these forums, although I never had to use it before :D I hope someone will be able to give some useful advise how to export properly from maya. I created my mesh in Zbrush, exported it and opened it in Maya. I'm done with UV and rig too, and I'm at the end of my nerves.

I'm using Maya 2012, with the newest fbx plugins, also open collada 1.4.1 installed too and I have the autodesk fbx converter. But my problem is that I'm unable to export a working mesh, I mean when I use the collada exporter my object will got its UV and I can texture it, but it's do not export my skin weight. The fbx_dae exporter will export the skin weight, but without the UV and when I try to texture it inworld it will be a huge mess. I'm trying to figure out how to do it alone, searching this forum about weeks. Please if anyone experienced anything like this before share with me how did you managed to get over it. Thanks in advance!

Hi Nessima,
Yea I ran into the same problems but I am on an older version of Maya so what worked for me may not work for you.

Yes I too can not export rigged mesh using the open source Collada plug-in.

I can export rigged mesh with the FBX_DAE plug-in from Autodesk but it only works if I have no textures associated with the materials.

So what I do is after I get my UVs and textures the way I want I create new Lamberts for each but don't link a texture to them and replace all the Materials/Faces with the new Lamberts.  This way there are no textures associated with the materials/faces of the mesh or in the DAE file.

Then I upload my mesh and textures separately to SL and apply the textures manually.

I hope that helps. :)
Let me know if it works for you.
Cathy

• Like 1

I forgot to mention, if you are new to rigging for SL then definitely watch the great video tutorial Sea Luan.

by http://saeluan.com/tutorials/maya/rigging-mesh-in-maya/

Exporting rigged mesh for SL using Maya can be very tricky.  Just one setting not set right or one bone not named right can cause the whole thing not to work.

Be sure you are using all the same settings and procedures Sea is doing in the video.

Hope that helps. :)
Cathy

• Like 1

Hi Cathy!

Some angel sent you I'm sure of it :) Sorry that I didn't responded you, but I have a long weekend full with family stuff behind my back. I will try what you suggested, I hope it will work because I'm really at the end of my nerves. Thanks again! I'll keep you infromed how it worked!

Nessi

A big big Thank you for Cathy! Your solution worked like a charm! I was really at the end of my nerves! Still, I have to fix a few stuff on my object, I just discovered a lot of error in the rig, but now at least I can export it with UV AND RIG! Hurray for you! Thanks a lot!

Nessi^^

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.