Mesh Image Not Mapping As Expected

Codex Alpha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have followed Brandt's tutorial here; Sofa Creation For Second Life Part 5 Texturing

but he only shows the use of one texture, that doesn't seem to be a problem. Another tutorial here addresses the texturing of a mesh using multiple materials/textures, then compositing them into one image; Blender-Baking Textures   ( 5:00 on is when he assigns the composite image to the object)

Everything is fine and dandy;

couch_no_map.png

There is no problem with render; as expected

New material was created and texture using composite baked image, assigned to object; as expected.

Followed the tutorial to ensure the new UV map was selected to reflect it all; as expected.

In the Second Life importer, however, the texture is clearly not applied correctly, and upload and test verifies this.

I could upload a model of the couch, using the seperate textures, and setting the textures to reflect the scale I had assigned in Blender; but that defeats the purpose. I have to use seperate textures for each material on the object, but of course, I'd prefer to use 1 image/1material for an object like this simple 2 texture couch.

Doing the same thing to a simple cube (assigning diff mats/textures to faces), then compositing an image (without using a new UV map because I dont have to re-Unwrap that simple object) and there is no problem.

What gives? Is my mesh gimped somehow? I've checked it all over in Blender, dont see why this wouldnt map the image correctly if its an all-go on the render in 2nd Life. Export detail missed? Some wrong button pressed somwhere? LOL.

I've spent too much time with this than I should. Got any ideas what could be going on?

Thanks for your help as always, your replies are usually pretty helpful and informative.

Maybe you are getting the wrong UV map in the upload?

If your blender object has multiple UV maps, you need to make sure the right ione gets uploaded. There is a blender export option "Only active UV layer, but it doesn't work properly. I quote my reply from an earlier thread.....

What Blender are you using? I am still using 2.66, where the "Only Active UV Layer" doesn't work unless you have the first UV map in the (i.e. Blender's) list selected. This is because it tells the <polylist> tags (In the dae file) to use the selected map, but still only exports the first. That leaves the reference in the <polylist> pointing to a map that isn't there. That produces the know effect of a garbled random UV map.... If you have the multi-material map* first in the list and have it selected when you export, this will work ok even in 2.66.

If you turn the "Only Active UV Layer" option off, the collada does contain both (or more) UV maps, so that the references do now point to something valid, but the <polylist> now refers to both. SL doesn't know which one to use, so it selects (I think, for two at least) the laast one. This will not work as you expect unless that's the one you wanted. (if it's the wrong one, it will give you the wrong mapping).

*yours is not multimaterial, but the same applies.

• Like 1

gah_blend.jpg

Hmm, I do have 2 x UV maps in there, the first being the old UV I used to scale the textures onto the individual areas.

New Wrap is following the latter tutorial, and he does mention selecting the new UV, which I did, but was having the results as posted. Don't see a way to select the active UV Map other than what I did by highlighting it.

I did, however DELETE 'UVMap' and then re-export the Collada out of Blender using the 2nd LIfe Static Preset(of course), and now it seems to be mapping fine in the importer! Thanks for tipping me off.

Mr Brandt does not cover this part in his texture tutorial, as he only uses 1 texture and simply bakes it, and the latter tutorial was geared to exporting to Unity3D.

Thanks man, i just couldn't find the information anywhere. I watch a pile of tutorials, follow them, and read as much as I can, but in the end, I need to consult people with more working experience than I. Such a simple thing screwed me up for hours.

I'm happy it solved your problem. Trhis case, where you use one map to texture and another to bake to, is probably the main one where this comes up. I think it should be regarded as a bug in the exporter, because it causes bad references in the collada when the active UV map option is checked and the selected one is not top of the list. It's useful to have your example showing it's a real problem. I hope we may see a fix before too long.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.