Mesh Upload and rendering broken on standard clients but not Catznip?

Reinard Eberhardt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3910 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

To say that I'm frustrated is an understatement. Why on earth would one viewer, Catznip render rigged mesh correctly at various detail levels on various computers with vastly different hardware configurations? (AMD, NVIDIA, INTEL)

However when upload the mesh on the standard client, phoenix, and firestorm and so on it encounters random weighting issues. For example the right arm's weights are partially ignored, or it displays correctly in preview, but as soon as you attach it to the AV it fails dismally. Or issues are completely random and do not make any logical sense. I havegone as far as ensuring that UVs are completely symmetrical, downgraded OpenCollada from 1.4 to 1.2, nothing, re-applied skinning, used the default rig and so on…

Why is it that Catznip pulls this off flawlessly and others not? (http://wiki.catznip.com/index.php?title=Catznip_Second_Life_Viewer)

(I will upload screenshots later)

OK here are my first thoughts and suggestions after reading your problem.

If you uploaded the mesh with Catznip I would upload the same DAE file with the official most current default LL viewer though rename the file so the viewer just doesn't use the SLM file that was created when you first uploaded it.

My guess what probably has happened is LL updated the mesh uploader part of the viewers programming and Catznip either hasn't been updated or your using an outdated version of Catznip.  

It is because there may be a bit of a lag time between when LL updates the mesh upload and when all other 3rd party incorporates the changes into their viewers that I always use LL most current version to upload mesh.

Try giving the mesh to a friend and see if it looks OK on their computer or if you look OK while wearing the mesh in their computer using viewers other than Catznip.

The only other thing I can suggest is to uninstall all the viewers from your computer and reload them starting with LL default viewer checking out each one at a time to make sure your mesh looks good.

Hope that helps. :)

Cathy

See the Release Notes for v3.6.8 (282050) - Second Life Viewer.

Known Issue MAINT-3213[c] Brightness and Darkness legacy bump maps render incorrectly on Intel GPUs.

That might be it? 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.6.8.282050

The third party viewers won't have the latest LL code.  LL apparently had a regression while improving something else.  The third party viewers will probably skip this build.  For the most part, the latest LL Viewer is great for me.  I use Firestorm when I'm building because of their better build tools.  But, Firestorm hasn't updated in so long that the LL Viewer is giving me better graphics now.  Third Party viewers give us nice options, but they don't do the heavy core graphics development that LL does. 

I run an AMD HD7950 graphics card, and can run painlessly run in Ultra in all but extreme situations.  So, I'm enjoying the better materials support in the LL Viewer. 

Also, I recently started using Gaia's Avastar-1.  I really like it.  I've been using Blender off-and-on for about 6 months, and have been tracking Avastar-1's progress in the group chats.  Avastar-1 is really great.  Thanks to all who endured the beta period that I skipped. 

• Like 1

Basically after I upload the *.dea file I delete the corresponding *.slm file.  I have downloaded the latest LL and Catznip Viewer. Not to mention others on at least 6 other computer systems two versions of Maya etc and followed the same procedure on all.  (this involves exporting and uploading the model on all machines) Yet the issue still persists.

However on all machines tested I noticed the following on the LL clients: Disable basic shaders and mesh displays fine, enable them and the mesh is bjorked, however this doesn't apply to Catznip, and yes I did allow friends to upload and test the mesh for themselves on the standard and Catznip client, same exact issue.

I think there's something seriously wrong with the graphics portion of the LL client and how it deals with complex mesh objects

Im not real technical on the subject of mesh avatars but I can say from experience that on the third party viewer I used to use Firestorm I could see structural meshes (buildings etc) just fine on any graphics setting which I run at Ultra with shadows so I should've seen everything in super detail but this wasn't always the case. Id experience a periodic gliche that comes and goes effecting the right hand or in the case of full mesh avatars right arm usually to the elbow, However on Catznip this is not an issue

Sounds like you have thoroughly tested it and looks like a nasty bug in the program you have found.

Have you searched the Jira to see if anyone else has reported it yet?

If they haven't you should report it.  LL should be made aware of it.

I hope LL takes it seriously and gets it fixed quickly.

Thanks for letting us know.  I will keep an eye out for it to see if it starts happening to me.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3910 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.