Can't enable shadows Help!

Clare Evergarden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Though as far as I can tell from my end my system meets more then the system requirements of second life, I am unable to get shadows to work in the normal second life viewer, though able to in Firestorm viewer in any case in preferences, under graphics, I am able to check Atmospheric shaders but Advanced lighting models, Ambient occlusion and depth of field are dimmed out or can't be clicked, though some how Advanced lighting models and Ambient occlusion are both checked

Also, I am able to check bum mapping and shiny but as far as I can tell its not working, though I only own one object that has bump mapping, so if any one knows of something I can use to really test if bump mapping is working, that's free, that'd be a lot of help.

Second Life 3.6.6 (280963) Sep 12 2013 05:15:08 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

You are at  in Khatara located at sim10513.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.52.19:13006)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Khatara
Second Life Server 13.09.05.280647
Release Notes

CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (3991.46 MHz)
Memory: 8146 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1191
OpenGL Version: 4.2.12217 Compatibility Profile Context 12.104.0.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.12
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.5.0009.17865

Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 0/18,947 (0.0%)

Graphics settings screen shot

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9563/5kdf.png

Though as far as I can tell from my end my system meets more then the system requirements of second life, I am unable to get shadows to work in the normal second life viewer, though able to in Firestorm viewer in any case in preferences, under graphics, I am able to check Atmospheric shaders but Advanced lighting models, Ambient occlusion and depth of field are dimmed out or can't be clicked, though some how Advanced lighting models and Ambient occlusion are both checked

Also, I am able to check bum mapping and shiny but as far as I can tell its not working, though I only own one object that has bump mapping, so if any one knows of something I can use to really test if bump mapping is working, that's free, that'd be a lot of help.

Second Life 3.6.6 (280963) Sep 12 2013 05:15:08 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

You are at  in Khatara located at sim10513.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.52.19:13006)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Khatara
Second Life Server 13.09.05.280647
Release Notes

CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (3991.46 MHz)
Memory: 8146 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1191
OpenGL Version: 4.2.12217 Compatibility Profile Context 12.104.0.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.12
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.5.0009.17865

Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 0/18,947 (0.0%)

Graphics settings screen shot

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9563/5kdf.png

Offhand, I would say the options available might simply confused - I've had them look weird like that before after checking and unchecking a few things. Have you tried to simply close the preferences and then just re-open them again to see what the options are? Also, try enabling ultra even if you just change it back to high afterwards, closing the pref's window in between. As long as you have Atmospheric Shaders selected, and your system can support the other options, they should be available to you.

To answer your question, the bump map and shiny settings there do not refer to the new materials which are also bump (normal) map and shiny (specular) map. They are the same as the generic bump and shiny settings that were always available from the edit window when applying textures. Most creators only used them rarely, because they just only adequate for very few texture patterns. To be able to see new materials, you need to have Advanced Lighting enabled, which although checked in your screenshot, most likely is not enabled since it is grayed out.

I would just try toggling your settings, (the quality slider - between mid, high and ultra), which should enable or disable other settings automatically even though you can check or uncheck them individually otherwise.

Wow it was as simple as moving the slider heh, moved it to ultra then just lowered the settings manually back to where I had them and poof I am able to enable every thing and shiny seems to be working now, you know how some times you just get it in your head its not a simple fix, you get that in your head so much you don't attempt the simplist things to try and fix it and usually that's what it is, this be one of those moments heh, thanks for the help.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.