Mesh/Sample content page is broken

ChicByTrinity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes. Something has gone wrong. To be honest, I'm not sure these files work with the current viewers. They were made a very long time ago before the beta became open. They were also not well optimised for the current LI calculation system. I did make some updated versions of mine, but I don't think they got as far as being placed there.

I just need an example file. I'm using 3ds Max 2012 and I exported a mesh (.dae) I had made last year for IMVU, and when I uploaded it the preview windows showed me some crap - only a few polygons in highest detail mode. So I think I want to see a working mesh to see what's wrong with my meshes.

Could be a ton of things, I'd suspect overuse of materials or overuse of geometry first.

It would really help others trying to help you if you posted some pics with some data and wireframe of your model.

2012 had a bad exporter for SL too, but I don't recall people having the issue you describe with it. A simple first step could be replacing your exporter with 2013.2 (FBX plugin) or newer.

Try this. It's just a cube.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><COLLADA xmlns="http://www.collada.org/2005/11/COLLADASchema" version="1.4.1">  <asset>    <unit name="meter" meter="1"/>    <up_axis>Z_UP</up_axis>  </asset>  <library_images/>  <library_geometries>    <geometry id="C" name="Cube">      <mesh>        <source id="Cp">          <float_array id="Cpa" count="24">-1 -1 -1 -1 1 -1 1 1 -1 1 -1 -1 -1 -1 1 -1 1 1 1 1 1 1 -1 1</float_array>          <technique_common>            <accessor source="#Cpa" count="8" stride="3">              <param name="X" type="float"/>              <param name="Y" type="float"/>              <param name="Z" type="float"/>            </accessor>          </technique_common>        </source>        <source id="Cn">          <float_array id="Cna" count="18">-1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 1</float_array>          <technique_common>            <accessor source="#Cna" count="6" stride="3">              <param name="X" type="float"/>              <param name="Y" type="float"/>              <param name="Z" type="float"/>            </accessor>          </technique_common>        </source>        <source id="Cm">          <float_array id="Cma" count="48">1 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0</float_array>          <technique_common>            <accessor source="#Cma" count="24" stride="2">              <param name="S" type="float"/>              <param name="T" type="float"/>            </accessor>          </technique_common>        </source>        <vertices id="Cv">          <input semantic="POSITION" source="#Cp"/>        </vertices>        <polylist count="6">          <input semantic="VERTEX" source="#Cv" offset="0"/>          <input semantic="NORMAL" source="#Cn" offset="1"/>          <input semantic="TEXCOORD" source="#Cm" offset="2" set="0"/>          <vcount>4 4 4 4 4 4 </vcount>          <p>1 0 0 0 0 1 4 0 2 5 0 3 5 1 4 6 1 5 2 1 6 1 1 7 6 2 8 7 2 9 3 2 10 2 2 11 0 3 12 3 3 13 7 3 14 4 3 15 0 4 16 1 4 17 2 4 18 3 4 19 7 5 20 6 5 21 5 5 22 4 5 23</p>        </polylist>      </mesh>      <extra><technique profile="MAYA"><double_sided>1</double_sided></technique></extra>    </geometry>  </library_geometries>  <library_controllers/>  <library_visual_scenes>    <visual_scene id="Scene" name="Scene">      <node id="Cube" name="Cube" type="NODE">        <matrix sid="transform">1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1</matrix>        <instance_geometry url="#C"/>      </node>    </visual_scene>  </library_visual_scenes>  <scene>    <instance_visual_scene url="#Scene"/>  </scene></COLLADA>

Ok, this time I saw a white cube (the code provided above). Then I tried with "medium" and I saw only a white triangle. Not a pyramid, just a flat triangle.

And "upload" button is greyed out. (another broken page is responsible for that. I'm on the beta grid).

mess.jpg

And in 3ds Max. Maybe I have wrong/invalid materials on it?

house_01.jpg

You can use up to 8 materials in one object, the triangle you see on medium is one of the 49 specified in the uploader I bet, the rest is probably too small to see. For angular objects like this you should really use LoD models or you end up with either a visual mess or with an enormous graphical load with matching high landimpact.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.