Vehicle using llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast()

xigaro

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!

I'm trying to make a vehicle using  llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast() to move the root prim. It moves and rotates great but it looks like the vehicle moves first, then the avatar moves after, and it looks really jerky. I thought the avatar became part of the linked set when sitting. Why so jerky? Is there a better way to move the vehicle in script to specific co-ordinates?

Thanks!

xigaro wrote:

I'm trying to make a vehicle using  llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast() to move the root prim. It moves and rotates great but it looks like the vehicle moves first, then the avatar moves after, and it looks really jerky. I thought the avatar became part of the linked set when sitting.

Jerkiness will vary from viewer to viewer and will not be the same if the camera is in default, following the object, following the avatar or controlled in some other way

xigaro wrote:

Is there a better way to move the vehicle in script to specific co-ordinates?

If you can't use the vehicle options you may find Key Framed Motion useful.

I love llSetKeyframedMotion! (llSKFM) I'm switching lots of things over to it that I used to use physics for. It has always been a shame that you had to drag in the huge, complex, finicky, buggy physics engine just to move an object smoothly. The way that I am using llSKFM is to calculate the next position and rotation of my “vehicle” or “critter” once a second in the timer() event I then give that position, rotation and 1 second to llSKFM to interpolate motion smoothly. Then I come back a second later and set up a new call to llSKFM.

As for the jerkiness, if you focus your camera (ctrl-alt-leftclick) on the seated avatar, the jerkiness goes away: the avatar and the vehicle move together. You can also get focused on your avatar by tapping one of the control keys, like left arrow. If you focus on the vehicle, the jerkiness comes back. If you focus on the ground as the vehicle goes by... I think the jerkiness is there. If you have two passengers on the vehicle, you can focus on one and the other will be jerky, or you can focus on the second and the first one will be jerky! There is no solution! I don't know if physical vehicles have this same problem. I have seen the same problem in Open Simulator, so I am beginning to think it is a viewer problem...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.