Wings 3D Plugin install

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is an educated guess because I know nothing about Wings 3D:

Most "permission" conflicts come from Windows Vista or Windows 7. The folder where you are trying to install the plugin is most likely "protected" or limited access. If Wings or the plug-in is trying to either alter or create, say, an *.ini file, or any other file in that folder, Windows will not allow this with the above protection or security level setting.

To correct this you can do one of two things.

1. Decrease the overall security level for the entire computer in your System Settings in the Windows Control Panel - not really a good idea if you spend a lot of time on the Internet or download a lot of free, non-certified software.
  2. Find the folder where the plug-in resides and open the "properties" for that folder. Click on the "Security" tab and increase the permissions for that folder. Be sure that the "program", "user", and "administrator" can all write to that folder and all it's sub-folders.

Nine times out of ten this will solve "permission" errors whether they are general Windows' error messages or as in your case - program specific.

• 4 years later...

This still pops up near the top in Google...

1: The Sculpty Import/Export Plugin listed in the SL Wiki still works with current 2.x versions of Wings.

Wiki Page: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Sculpted_Prims_with_Wings_3D

Download from: http://www.oortman3d.com/wings3d.html

2: Some things may depend on the OS. I use Linux which isn't the same as Windows. The one necessary file is the .beam file, which is the compiled Erlang code. I found I needed to manually put a copy in the right place. With wings-2.1.5 as the base folder for the install go to here.

wings-2.1.5/lib/wings-2.1.5/plugins/

There are sub-folders for the various function groups. This particular plugin is for the import-export group

3: Run Wings3D as usual

I was using if before, a long time ago, and it's a good way of taking a an old sculpt map and generating a mesh, which can be cleaned up while keeping a usable UV mapping. Consider some of the stand-alone Sculpt programs such as Rokuro, though you could make such a mesh directly in Wings3D. Also, it's an intermediate for getting Sculpts into Blender

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.