problem with walking,TPing,and camera controls

WardKaye Oakleaf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm having a problem walking,i have trouble getting started and stopping.Also when teleproting I am extremely slow in getting started,and I often crash while teleporting.Most TPs are successful though,but very slow in obtaining the region request.Also my camera controls do not respond as they used to.The wheel on the right (for wider radius) will not respond when I click on it,and when it finally does respond,it seem to go much further than it used to,in other words,it over shoots my object of interest.If I use the camera controls too much at one time,it causes a crash.This is especially seen in a place with many AVIs.I clear cache quite often.And,my computer is 4 yrs old,with adequate memory.Its is a 32 bit operating system,I'm beginning to wonder if my computer is adequate to run Second Life at all,Your thoughts on that and the problems ive made note of,Thank you for your assistance

3 answers to this question

My first thought, is that an auto-update, or forced Viewer update, has changed some of your Preference settings.

Second thought, is that your Graphic Card drivers, may need to be updated.

Your PC may benefit by installing a new Graphics card.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Setting-your-preferences/ta-p/700131

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Graphics-cards/ta-p/700073

Edit: the slow teleports sounds like an Internet connection problem. Check your internet connection type and speed.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Internet providers, do not have a policy of upgrading customers, they will keep you in a plan, even after that service has become obsolete.

Go to "Help" - "About Second Life", copy the information to the clipboard, edit your original post and paste it there. That will give us a lot of informtion quickly. Sluggish walking and teleporting is often a connection problem.

Crashing when using the camera controls in a busy region is a known problem - the viewer doesn't release the memory it uses reliably so when you use the camera it takes more and more memory until it finally hits the wall of how much it can possibly use (about 1.5 gigabytes) and crashes. If you go to "Develop" - "Show Info" - "Show Memory" you can see a display of how much memory the viewer's using.

Clearing cache is something that only helps if you see a specific problem, like your inventory showing the wrong numbers of items or if you see textures that are obviously showing wrong. Clearing it as a matter of routine will only make your viewer work harder

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.