newbie scripter : what do i need to learn?

Fabz Bing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Scripting is basically programming, so it might be good to find a programming tutorial. Learn about variables, functions, loops, things like that. I believe LSL is based on Javascript, though most major languages use the same structures.

It might be quicker to learn by doing, just take functions from the wiki, toss them in scripts, and see what they do...but odds are when it comes to doing anything complex your code will probably be a huge mess if you don't understand the underlying logic first.

I started learning LSL 4 years ago and I'm still learning.  I had no programming experience when I started, one of the hardest things I had to over come was learning to think like a programmer, I didn't get much of that from learning LSL.  The forums are very useful for asking for help and there are lots of good people willing to help, but with out knowing much it was even hard to know what question to ask or how to ask them.  I strongly recommend reading a basic book on general programming such as Beginning Programming for Dummies.  Much of the LSL wiki is out of date or incomplete, getting a good over view of general programming will help fill in the pieces.

Hello Fabz! Another good place to go is College of Scripting Link. They have, I believe, 8 floors of examples. Basically they are boards with instructions and explanations of just about anything concerning scripting and then some. They have them in small, manageable chunks so it's easy learning. You can rez there, so you can try out the scripts right on the spot. Just rez a prim, add the new script and then type in whatever is on the board in front of you. Great stuff!! Hope this helps, good luck and happy scripting!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.