Odd Graphics problem

kylynn347

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was tweaking my Sound and audio setting because for some reason in a voice enabled area, I couldn't hear voice. then about a minute after I hit apply my graphics droped from 35 FPS to 1 then after 10 minutes SL crashed. I have no idea whats going on.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 710

Motherboard: ASUS M4N68 Plus

4 GB RAM

Graphics Card: MSI N550GTX-Ti

any help?

1 answer to this question

I think you probably got ahead of your connection speed and got disconnected from the servers instead of crashing.  Voice is not delivered to your computer by Linden Lab......it's provided by a third party set of servers.  Your viewer only enables and disables the access to those servers.  When you use voice you are using more bandwidth to send and recieve voice.  If you out ran your connections ability to handle then it's likely you would get discaonnected from the SL servers.  You might have your bandwidth set high for your SL settings.......that only applies to the data the SL servers will send to your viewer.  If that bandwidth setting is set as high as your ISP provides then enabling voice is going to exceed that available bandwidth.  Your FPS will drop and, as your case, you might get disconnected from the servers because the voice servers are robbing your ability of recieve the data needed to stay connected the the SL servers.

Set those settings back to where they were before you "tweaked" them.  Lower your bandwidth in your perferences to about 75% of your tested speed (that gives you some overhead for services like voice and streaming media).

--------------------------------------------------------------

"...

Voice in Second Life uses Vivox technology that is based on RTP (using the oRTP library), SIP (using the amsip library from Antisip), OpenAL, TinyXPath, OpenSSL, and libcurl for the transmission of voice data. These technologies are contained in external daemon software started and stopped by the Second Life Viewer.

You can find the official Vivox documentation on the JIRA.

The Second Life Viewer handles configuration, control, and display functions, but the voice streams (from the microphone and from the Vivox voice server) do not enter the Viewer.  The source code for the external SLVoice daemon is not available due to contractual obligations between Linden Lab and Vivox.  Vivox has, however, announced plans to open up the code in phases as described here."

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Voice/Technical

---------------------------------------------------------------

Test your actual speed here:

http://www.speedtest.net/

*Do three tests each to San Francisco, CA and Dallas, TX......take the average of all six tests and use that as your base speed.  You'll want to set your bandwidth in your preferences to about 75% of that average speed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.