Importing .obj into blender 2.62 causes the mesh triangles to "unsmoothen"/brake.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Whenever I export .dae (with the two check boxes on the bottom left for sl) and import it into sl the mesh triangles are “over exaggerated” making the object not smooth. I figured out the problem was due to the fact importing a .obj into blender 2.62 messes up the mesh triangles making them "unsmooth".

To fix this I had to download 3ds max 2013 demo version (which will not work in 29 days) import it into it as .obj with materials on 3ds max. Then I had to export it as .obj from 3ds max and import it into blender 2.62 to “smooth” out the mesh triangles. Exported as sl only dae on blender 2.62 and imported into sl shows a *huge* difference in smoothness.

Once imported this way I could edit the mesh in blender my way, “drag and drop” textures in world sl and the model would be noticeably smoother. The land impact and cost are even lowered because of this method.

Is there a way to fix this in blender 2.62? I really like blender because of the weight paint to rig avatars and because it's free.

The main problem is importing .obj into blender 2.62 messes up the mesh triangles and the fix could be as easy as a check box somewhere in the preferences I can't find.

My very first response would be that you have enabled flat shading where you want smooth shading (the shading buttons are in the tool shelf in object mode). But it can not be such simple...

Do you have an image that shows how your triangles are "over exagerated" ?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.