my (official SL-)viewer keeps crashing. What can I do?

Toro552

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My SL-viewer keeps crashing. My hardware is good enough but I have an ADSL line rated at some 2.5kB/s. SL has been working good for about a month but now I cannot do anything worthwile. What can I do?

My HW+SW:

Second Life 3.3.0 (251182) Mar 15 2012 11:29:12 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz (3192.23 MHz)
Memory: 3960 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce 405/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.7588
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

About the speed of my line: sorry about that, obviously should have read 2.5Mbps

Sometimes it runs for 10 mins sometimes just 10secs... and then disappears, no errors listed... although SL does try to send some bug report to a server (which I cannot intercept).

2 answers to this question

"Hardware is good enough" doesn't really tell anyone much about the hardware.  Good enough as in the listed minimum requirements is not really good enough for anything but getting in-world.......your quality of graphics is going to be very low.  Launch your viewer (you don't need to log in).  Under the "Help" menu click on "About Second Life".  In the dialog that pops up you'll see your basic system spec's that are reported to the servers.  Copy those and post back here.

Don't start a new thread to add that information.  Instead use the "Options" at the upper right corrner of you post and "Edit".

And you said your ADSL speed is 2.5 kbps.  I don't think that's correct since a phone line connection is typically 56 kbps and that absolutely will not be enough for SL.  Did you mean 2.5 mbps?  If so, that's plenty fast enough.

• Like 2

I'm sorry I haven't been on the forums since I posted earlier.....I just now saw your edit.

It may not be all your problem but your video card is not less than 90% of your problem.  The 405 card is the lowest performing card in the 400 series.  It's not up to the 3D requirements that SL needs for a good experience.  It's barely above most of the onboard graphic accelerators that come with low spec'd computers.  I had no success finding an independent review for the card.  All I could find (after quite a search) was a benchmark for the card.  It shows where the card stands against the more recent cards from both nVidia and AMD........it's at the bottom of the heap.  Sorry for the bad news about that.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce 405

That aside, since you can log in you might try setting your graphics preferences to the lowest settings to see if that helps.  You can do that before you log at the log in screen.  If it helps then one slider at a time move to the right, in small increments, until you reach the point of problems then back off slightly.  That will be what you'll have to live with until you get a better performing video card.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.