black screen after 10 min. second life

donnia Lane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure if i am posting this in the right forum... but i neeeeed help.. I am running on windows vista :-( i know it sux... but ok.. doing that for 2 years... now suddenly while in SL .. within half hour my screen goes black... I can hear SL running.. but then after 2 min.. nothing anymore... I have to put out my laptop manually in order to get back into sl. Any ideas whats going on?

What you have is a classic graphics card failure that is usually caused from over heating.  Though the card may have worked fine for years, it is now getting old and over heating.  Not really common with Nvidia cards but very common with ATI cards (Nvidia cards tend to just freeze up where ATI tend to go black but both will shut off when over heated).

There are several work around and one solution.

If your card works again after you shut off your pc and let it cool down, then you know this is an issue.

You can change your settings to raise the limit of the graphics card heating safety.  You may also want to check to make sure all your fans are working and clean, especially the one on the graphics card.

If this does not cure it, you should get a new card.  Fortunately, they have come way down in price.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.