NealCrz
0 Kudos

ZBrush and Blender Exporting

Curious if anyone sees this.
I create something in ZBrush and export to SL.  I get object is not part of the reference model.
I import to Blender, immediately export doing nothing to DAE and it uploads to SL fine.

thoughts? 

thanks

Neal

Sassy Romano
0 Kudos

Re: ZBrush and Blender Exporting

Reply to NealCrz - view message

Sounds like your original file wasn't in a format that SL expected but when imported into blender, was parsed ok and then blender wrote out a suitable version of the data in dae format.

It's a text file, if you're bored, open both in notepad and compare differences. You may want to download xmlnotepad for a little more sanity.

In other words. Although you didn't edit anything in blender, the data did not pass through unchanged.
IvanBenjammin
0 Kudos

Blender has a better DAE exporter than some other apps.

Example: I model in Silo and used to use Wings3D to export DAEs. I discovered that Wings3D DAEs fail to preserve smoothing groups/hard edges. They would be visible in Wings but somehow failed to translate properly - even edges deliberately split manually. Using Blender instead of Wings solved that problem.

NealCrz
0 Kudos

Reply to Sassy Romano - view message

giving that  a try.  Thank you.

NealCrz
0 Kudos

Reply to Sassy Romano - view message

Comparing only 1/4 of the file over 19 sections of descriptions differ.   Dont think i can debug it all.  Guess it will have to be part of my workflow to go through Blender.

Gaia Clary
0 Kudos

NealCrz wrote:

Comparing only 1/4 of the file over 19 sections of descriptions differ.   Dont think i can debug it all.  Guess it will have to be part of my workflow to go through Blender.

Collada can describe data in many different ways. While some general rules apply, it depends highly on the exporter's capabilities how the file will actually be organised in detail. Hence it is expectedthat2 collada filesmay look very different even if they contain the same data.

That is why creating a Collada importer is such a tedious task. (and why Blender's Collada importer is actually still very wonky...)

However when you want to find out what exactly makes the SL-Importer unhappy, you have to analyse the file in great detail and you have to know what the data means and what the SL importer does with the data. I guess this is impossible to do within a couple of minutes...

the mesh weaver
NealCrz
0 Kudos

Reply to Gaia Clary - view message

mesh is such a journey lol ,  thanks