Mesh Rigging Problems: Unassigned Verticies

Fluffzils

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been trying to take up rigging with Blender 2.49b and i'm running into a few problems.

For starters, I'm curious about the SL Rigging Skeleton. Unless i have a model in a perfect T pose that fits to the rig itself, it seems to incorrectly rig itself inside Second Life, making my arms or other parts become deformed. So my first question would be, is it possible to move the skeleton around so it can fit to a model in "semi-T-pose" (e.g arms on a 75 degree angle)

Secondly, upon uploading a second attempt at a rigging on my avatar, I encountered an error where i couldn't correctly convert an .OBJ to a .DAE and get it in Second Life. There was one instance where i got the .DAE export done fine, but then when i attempted to upload it, it said that the mesh "didn't have the requried level of detail".

Upon further investigation, i found out that that happens when you have unassigned verticies to the model and its coinciding rig skeleton. So i looked into getting an enhanced version of the .DAE 1.4 Exporter for Blender, telling me how many unassigned verticies i had. I have no idea what to do from there, or how to fix it... So.. help?

It is easier just to work with the SL Avatar in T-pose. But, you can work with different poses.

• With the armature selected, go to Pose Mode and select a bone.
  • Hit Ctrl + A (Current Pose as Rest Pose).
  • Parent your avatar and do the weighting.
  • Rotate the armature bones back to the T-pose.
  • Click the item you are rigging and go to the Modifier tab. Click "Make Real" then "Apply".
  • Now, go to Pose mode on the armature. Select a bone.
  • Use Ctrl + A (Current Pose as Rest Pose).
  • Select your item and parent it to the armature again. (Pick "Don't Create Groups").
  • Tweak weighting if needed.
  • Then, finish up like usual.
As for fixing the weight painting, you might want to check out this tutorial on weight painting:

Thanks for the help! I'm still wondering what to do about the unassigned verticies problem though... I keep getting that error and second life doesn't let me upload it.

And i'm also using the SL Avatar's skeleton to rig another avatar onto it. Not the SL avatar itself.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.