Changes in shading with new uploads.....

Drongle McMahon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had to replace vthe doors of my gallery with new uploads because thy hade the huge collision shape bug. So I uploaded them. Unfortunately the newly uploaded doors dod not get bshaded the same way as the old ones. They are essentially ruined.

Here is a picture. Fully textured and with shiny (medium on knob, low on wood) on the left, blank textures without shiny on the right. Each pair has the old one on the left and the freshly uploaded one on the right. The top panel is with shadows off and the bottom with shadows on (note the artefact).

I am pondering whether this is deliberate or a bug. It certainly seems like a bug to me, as it has ruined the doors. What do you think? I have left them outside the gallery in Mesh City for a while, in case anyone wants to take a look with their settings and see if they see the same differences.

The pictures were taken with viewer 223637. I tried with the latest, 225870, and it was the same. It would be especially useful to know if the shadow artefact is seen by others. It's there in both doors although less obvious on the new one.
shading_changed.jpg
PS. Sorry this is so big. It needs the detail.

PPS. OK. I checked the mesh versions and changes to crease angle. No differences.

But I don't see how that change contributes to correcting the bounding box collision problem. The bounding box shown on the debug display was never wrong. Even if the "stretch box" is now the same as the true bounding box, it is still the wrong thing for collisions. That is supposed to be the physics shape, which is entirely different and can have holes. So that change would only make the bug less extreme. It would not solve it. I like the change. It gets over horrible potential problems with encroachment by fences, and it should slightly improve streaming costs (effect on radius). But I hope it's not supposed to be the solution to that bug.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.