Blender | Automated Weights fail on small objects

Appurushido

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3352 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Problem description:

CTRL+P Set Parent to - Armature Deform - With Automatic Weights assigns weights to the zipper (fig. 2), but when rotating the bone mChest by Y 90 degrees, the zipper moves out of its relative position to the top (fig. 3).

fig. 1

fig. 2

fig. 3

Also, after uploading the zipper and the top to SL, the zipper does follow the avatar movements but does not stay in its relative position to the top.

Changing the weights manually so that relative positions stays the same in Blender, does not affect the independant movements in SL.

Questions:

Can an object be too small to take advantage of the automated weights? If the vertices are too close to each other?

Is there a restriction regarding the minimal size for mesh uploads in SL?

Automatic weights is rarely the entire solution, you'll almost always need to clean it up manually. I mean, there wouldn't be a professional career out there in model rigging if one button did all the work.

If manual rigging isn't working, it may not be done entirely correctly, although I would also suggest having the zipper and the top (jacket?) be made the same model. Having two different attachments move exactly the same way isn't neccesarily something I would bet on, even if they were weighted perfectly, especially for something like a zipper which looks wrong if it's even half an inch off.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3352 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.