How can I export objects in SL to external formats?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The only mention of anything I see regarding third party viewers is:

"You must not use or provide any functionality that Linden Lab’s viewers do not have for exporting content from Second Life unless the functionality verifies that the content to be exported was created by the Second Life user who is using the Third-Party Viewer. Specifically, before allowing the user to export the content, the Third-Party Viewer must verify that the Second Life creator name for each and every content component to be exported, including each and every primitive or other content type, is the same as the Second Life name of the Third-Party Viewer user. This must be done for all content in Second Life, including content that may be set to "full permissions.""

Doesn't say it's not allowed.

you can export items you are the creotor of AND have full permissions on. if you are not the creator of the images used they will default to the plywood textures.

the problem being, the format that the exporter spits out is simply an XML list of the object properties as found in SL....

currently there are no good export methods that will get you a file of the type you would want or could use for a 3D printer.

on the horizon, a few months off (we hope) is the ability to import .obj meshes... and one assumes, export them as well, but that still leaves creation outside of secondlife.

in the meantime the only likely candidate (that I am aware of) for taking an SL object an exporting it in a useful fashion, is to use an inworld nurbs recorder... to place the nurbs surface, and import the data that it spits out to a program that supports nurbs surfaces.

• 3 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.