New GTX 970 graphics card yet very mediocre performance

Icarus Lytton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've had a similar problem with a GTX 970 (MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G), though not  quite as bad as yours.  I was surprised today when I finally had time to do some testing and swapped it several times with my old GTX 760 (EVGA GTX 760 4GB) and found that my old GTX 760 has a dramatically higher framerate in SL than my GTX 970.  

My GTX 970 has frame rates just a little higher than yours, around 22fps, but the GTX 760 has frame rates around 40fps.  I swapped the cards several times and the results were consistent.  

I'm using the latest driver, downloaded from nvidia.com, and Firestorm 64 bit.  I was testing this with all graphics set to max on a Win 7 PC with an i7-950 (first gen i7) on an Asus Sabertooth mobo with 24GB RAM.   I've also tried the GTX 970 on my Haswell (i7-4770) system on an MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING mobo with similar results.  My testing was done on my land in the SL mainland.  The results would be even worse in a sim with a lot of activity.

I do a lot of photography in SL and OpenSim and was doing machinima until I bought the GTX 970 last year.  I stopped doing machinima because I could no longer get the performance I was used to.  I'm now thinking of selling ithe GTX 970 on eBay and returning to using my old GTX 760.

• 1 year later...

Oh boy... Another uninformed person... It is stated fact and it is in the numbers I have viewed myself with only 40% GPU utilisation with my GTX 970 and I7 6700k combo... It is due to SLs opengl rendering engine can not use more than one or two threads... And yes I know this is an old post xD.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.