Mesh Wireframe (edges) changes upon upload from blender

Killi Cloud

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a little late jumping on board the mesh train but watching tons of videos and staring to get the hang of it, but I'm finding with a simple shape such as a bevel edge cube the shape can change dramatically upon upload in to second life without any changes.

blendermeshchangeonupload.png

(Left is mesh in blender and right is edges viewed upon upload)

If i import the file back into blender it is the same as but only changes when uplading to second life.

(Running Blender 2.75 and Second Life 3.7.30 (302599)

Any reason for this & a fix?

This is because SL only uses triangles. If your mesh contains quads or ngons (polygons with more than 4 edges) then the uploader will triangulate it before uploading it. The Collada file, on the other hand, can contain ngons. So as long as you don't check the triangulate export option checked by default with SL presets) it will still have the ngons when you re-import it. If you have problems with the way it gets triangulated by the uploader, then you will have to divide up the ngons before exporting it, for example by using J to join two selected vertices with an edge dividing the ngon (not H which will make an edge separate from the ngon). Usually quads are sufficient, rather than going all the way to triangles.

• Like 1

Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 8.59.45 AM.png

Some other options:

Select the Ngon and then insert (I).  Scale the inner ngon in a bit to create a border of faces and then remove the ngon.  Then select the boundry edge and press CTL F > Grid Fill.  (Note inserting is optional but it helps with shading.  Now with the ability to edit normals this might be no longer necessary)

Another option is to just select the Ngon and press CTL T  which will give you a trangulated result that has less of those troublesome thin elongated triangles.  Press F6 (or look in the left side transform palette) and toggle between the Polygon (means ngon) method of "Beauty" or "Clip" to get the arrangement you prefer.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.