Meshes I upload end up unusable (having invisible walls).

ChicByTrinity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't know if anyone else is having the same problem, but I have had it as long as i can remember, but now it started messing up my work and wasting my money.

I meshed a house, and now I'm unable to go in there, an invisible wall is blocking the way. It acts like a huge triangle or a rectangle with only a visual shape, no physical shape.

The example is located here: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Brunei/154/155/22

Another example is that billboard on the roof, I meshed it last year and had to make it "phantom" in order to walk without invisible walls under it.
The street lamp post next to the house is acting the same -- an invisible wall from the lamp to the ground, next to the post itself. I was unable to walk past the post under the lamp unless taking a small detour. That's really annoying. Setting it "phantom" can be a poor workaround in some cases, but it doesn't work for the buildings!

Have I done something wrong when uploading a mesh? Do I need to change some settings somewhere?

And I tested the same house mesh on InWorlds today, it had no problems there. I'm frustrated. I just got one problem sorted yesterday, and now another (probably worse) fell on my neck.

The physics shape type of the building and of the billboard are both set to "Convex hull". That is the default physics shape type. You can never go inside a convex hull. You need to change it to "Prim", which you can do on the Features tab of the edit dialog (assuming you di upload it with a physics shape). Otherwise you can link it to a small cube prim as root, set the physics shape type to "None" and use invisible prims as the physics.

By the way, using the Convex ull type is also the reason why your ;egs sink into the roof if you walk on it. For some reason they made the convex hull physics shape smaller than the actual mesh. You can see that if you turn on Render Metadata->Physics shape in the developer menu. I reported this as a bug years aga, but it is srill that way. So I assume they had some obscure reason for leaving it that way.

Drongle McMahon wrote:

You need to change it to "Prim", which you can do on the Features tab of the edit dialog (assuming you di upload it with a physics shape). Otherwise you can link it to a small cube prim as root, set the physics shape type to "None" and use invisible prims as the physics.

I don't have that option at all. I only have "Convex Hull" and "None" there, which I'm unable to choose. It only says that "Cannot set root prim to have no shape", and I'm lost again.

In that case, they must have been uploaded without a physics shape. You still have the "None" option with linked invisible prims for physics, but you need another prim to be the root. It can be one of the invisible ones, or it can be a small box prim, as I said in the previous post. Better though to upload them again, this time using the physics tab of the uploader to make a physics shape. Do you know how to do that?

For the billboard, I would use a mesh consisting of two boxes, one for the board and one for the stand. They should be non overlapping but part of the same mesh object (assuming the billboard is one object). Load this dae from file and then click Analyze. It should say there are two hulls with 16 vertices.

The building is more complicated (and I am assuming again it is one mesh). Again, the simplest option is a set of non-overlapping boxes - the minimum you can use to get collisions with the walls, floors, roof etc, with gaps for the doors. Upload the same way.

Remember that the physics models will be stretched to fit the same bounding box as the visible model, So it needs to be already fitted to that. Otherwise collisions will be in the wrong places.

You can try to use the visible mesh as the starting point for the physics shape (select LOD in the dropdown on the physics tab), but that is usually much more difficult to get a functionally acceptable shape without excessive physics cost (and consequently high LI).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.