SOLVED - imported Maya created rigged mesh won't export from 3DS with rigging

Auntialias

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I so wish I was better at this, but I'm not <sigh>.  

I bought a full perm rigged clothing dae.  Its origin is Maya.  I imported to 3DS, but when I import I get these error messages:

While reading or writing a file the following notifications have been raised.
    -Warning: Unrecognized <geometry> element: extra
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "polySurface217"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mSkull"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mEyeRight"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mEyeLeft"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mHead"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mNeck"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mWristLeft"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mElbowLeft"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mShoulderLeft"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mCollarLeft"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mWristRight"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mElbowRight"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mShoulderRight"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mCollarRight"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mChest"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mTorso"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mToeRight"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mFootRight"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mAnkleRight"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mKneeRight"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mHipRight"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mToeLeft"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mFootLeft"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mAnkleLeft"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mKneeLeft"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mHipLeft"
    -Warning: The unsupported technique element with profile "OpenCOLLADAMaya" in node element "mPelvis"

After some minor deformations to the mesh and tried exporting as a collada (dae) using FBX.  No errors on export, but when I try to upload to SL it's not seeing the rigging anymore because I don't have a skin weights option. 

I tested by importing the Maya model into 3DS and exporting without touching anything.  Same problem.  Then I tried importing into Maya and I got the same errors I did with 3DS.  I can't figure out why I'm getting the import errors.  Anyone have an answer?    I'm a dunce with Maya, but I have access to it at school if I need to use it. 

Thank you in advance :)

I am not sure what you are trying to do is even possible.

Every time a mesh is converted from one format to another vital information the modeling program needs is often lost.

I have actually tried doing what you are attempting on a few occasions.  I couldn't find my original Maya file I made but could find the DAE file I had created.  I did eventually get the DAE file to import back into Maya and it looked fine and the rigging and weighting appeared OK but when I exported it back out as a DAE file I got errors making it impossible to upload to SL. :(

Wish I could be more help.
I will be watching this thread to see if anyone else has solved it.
It would come in handy from time to time.

Cathy

Okies, well.  I used the FBX 2013.3 Converter to convert to FBX, then into Max and then out as FBX then into the converter and then out of the converter as Collada and it works.  YAY!

The bigger mystery to me is how I was getting it to work a few weeks ago without using the converter at all, just the 3DS import/export options for FBX and Autodesk collada.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.