Basic HUD Local Rotation problems

Bezilon Kasei

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey I was just wondering why this function doesn't rotate the linked prims in my HUD. The link numbers are fine and I followed the instructions on the wiki on how to rotate something with a desired angle. I even tried to give it my angles that I looked up in the build window, but it only nudges a tiny little bit and I don't really understand why. Please help!

integer ColorMenu() {
    rotation on = llEuler2Rot(<0,0,90.0>*DEG_TO_RAD);
    rotation off = llEuler2Rot(<0,0,-90.0>*DEG_TO_RAD);

if (colormenu) {
        llSetLinkPrimitiveParams(3,[PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,(llGetLocalRot()*off)]);
        llSetLinkPrimitiveParams(4,[PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,(llGetLocalRot()*off)]);
        llSetLinkPrimitiveParams(5,[PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,(llGetLocalRot()*off)]);
        colormenu = 0;
    }
    else {
        llSetLinkPrimitiveParams(3,[PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,(llGetLocalRot()*on)]);
        llSetLinkPrimitiveParams(4,[PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,(llGetLocalRot()*on)]);
        llSetLinkPrimitiveParams(5,[PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,(llGetLocalRot()*on)]);
        colormenu = 1;
    };

return 0;
}

Did you try:

integer ColorMenu() {    rotation on = llEuler2Rot(<0,0,90.0>*DEG_TO_RAD);    rotation off = llEuler2Rot(<0,0,-90.0>*DEG_TO_RAD);    if (colormenu) {        llSetLinkPrimitiveParams(3,[PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,off]);        llSetLinkPrimitiveParams(4,[PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,off]);        llSetLinkPrimitiveParams(5,[PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,off]);        colormenu = 0;    }    else {        llSetLinkPrimitiveParams(3,[PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,on]);        llSetLinkPrimitiveParams(4,[PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,on]);        llSetLinkPrimitiveParams(5,[PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,on]);        colormenu = 1;    }    return 0;}

I can not know what you want but this code will set the child prim rotation relative to the root by on respectively off

EDIT: You may want to replace llSetLinkPrimitiveParams() with llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast() if the 0.2 sec. delay freezes your script at the wrong moment.

From what I see in your script, it looks like you are trying to rotate child prims a quarter of turn if colormenu is set and to rotate them back otherwise. Your scripts fails for two reasons:

First, llGetLocalRot() returns the local rotation of the prim in which it is called from. I assume your script is in the root... which does not rotate. So...

Second, to add more rotation to a current one, the right "formula" is more_rot * current_rot.

And third, not a reason for failure but a question that crossed my mind. The way your script is written, the same rotation is applied to the 3 child prims. Is that what you want?

If yes, here is what I would write:

integer colormenu = TRUE;integer ColorMenu(){    colormenu = !colormenu; // if (colormenu == 1) { colormenu = 0; } else if (colormenu == 0) { colormenu = 1; }    rotation quarter_rot = llEuler2Rot(<0.0, 0.0, PI_BY_TWO>); // 90 * DEG_TO_RAD == PI_BY_TWO    rotation child_rot = llList2Rot(llGetLinkPrimitiveParams(3, [PRIM_ROT_LOCAL]), 0);    list params;    if (colormenu) { params = [PRIM_ROT_LOCAL, quarter_rot * child_rot]; } // Turn one way...    else { params = [PRIM_ROT_LOCAL, child_rot / quarter_rot]; } // ...or the other way.    llSetLinkPrimitiveParams(3, params + [PRIM_LINK_TARGET, 4] + params + [PRIM_LINK_TARGET, 5] + params);    // Synchronized rotation    return 0; // Do you really need to return something?}default{    touch_start(integer num)    {        ColorMenu();    }}

If the prims do not turn the right way, just move the line colormenu = !colormenu; to the end of the function (before the return).

If the child prims all have different original rotations, things are a bit different:

integer colormenu = TRUE;ColorMenu(){    colormenu = !colormenu;    rotation quarter_rot = llEuler2Rot(<0.0, 0.0, PI_BY_TWO>);    list child_rot = llGetLinkPrimitiveParams(3, [PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,                                             PRIM_LINK_TARGET, 4, PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,                                             PRIM_LINK_TARGET, 5, PRIM_ROT_LOCAL]);    list params;    integer i = 0;    for (; i < 3; ++i) // 3 prims    {        if (i) { params += [PRIM_LINK_TARGET, i + 3]; } // Link numbers: 3, 4, 5        if (colormenu)        {            params += [PRIM_ROT_LOCAL, quarter_rot * llList2Rot(child_rot, i)]; // Turn one way...        }        else        {            params += [PRIM_ROT_LOCAL, llList2Rot(child_rot, i) / quarter_rot]; // ...or the other way.        }    }    llSetLinkPrimitiveParams(3, params);}default{    touch_start(integer num)    {        ColorMenu();    }}

(I removed the return which seems very superfluous to me.)

Both scripts tested in-world. They work whatever the rotation of the root prim.

Thanks for both of you! The only problem I had was that I missed that the local rotation is respective to the root prim. Thus I'm not in need of a universal code, but thank you for taking your time and explaining it to me. The return value is not necessary I know, but it's still not a void function and it's just a habbit, casue 0 means that the function works well.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.