rl pic for custom sl avatar

nausicaa Dinzeo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I searched and found no SL presence.  I also noticed that the pics etc. on that website are from 2010 and there are no names on their website, either RL or SL of the people that own the business. There is no contact information at all or indication of where the business is located.  This is a big red flag for me. 

I would certainly want to know who represents them in SL and meet with them.  I would also want references (at least 3) and to see other examples of their work.  There used to be a business in SL that did this but is no longer in SL.  I am not sure if these are the same people or not.

The video shows them creating an avatar from Will Smith's pictures.  That is against the TOS in SL, unless the avatar was created for Will Smith himself.  See this document's section on trademarks and celebrity material.  This policy is incorporated into the TOS by reference.  So that sends up more red flags to me.  If a business is going to operate in SL they should follow the rules. 

I know nothing about the payment service that they use, so can't speak to those issues.  I would be very cautious about using it.  They should accept L's too if they are really a legit SL business.

Lastly, they don't quote prices but be prepared to pay a lot.  Custom avatar creation including a skin is a  lot of work and people that do this want to be paid in the equivalent of RL rates for their work.

Maybe they are a legitimate business, but I would want to know a LOT more before spending the kind of money they probably charge.

I've never heard of youinsl before so I did a Goggle search.  There's quite a few search hits but the only site I could find that I thought might give a clue about how safe using such a site would be is this:

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/youinsl.com

The disturbing part is that the "who-is" shows youinsl as being around since 2008 yet there are no ratings.  Maybe that's because the ratings site I found is not well known or maybe it's because no one is confident enough in youinsl to even try it.  So to your question about how safe the site might be is "use at your own risk"  Since payment is going be by use of your personal finances (credit card, debit card, check, or possibly PayPal) the likelihood of having to provide personal financial information is great (not to mention other personal information) is very high.  Having an avatar in SL that looks like you sounds fun (if you are into that)..........but is it worth the risk?  Not to me it isn't.

There's a reason why no one has created real life look alike avatars in SL before.  Until mesh was introduced it was pretty much impossible for anyone to make an avatar look like an image in SL.  Mostly because of the avatar mesh that Linden Lab uses for the avatars (it's pretty basic and because of that very limited in exactly what can be done with skins) but also because of the almost limitless possibilities for shapes.  The shape of the avatar (especially the face) is as important (possibly more) than the skin, or features, of an avatar. 

Since mesh has been introduced it's probably possible.  But then someone is going to have be very proficient at 3D modeling (like a professional modeler that does such things for a real life living).  A professional is not likely to risk his/her livelihood to create a popular real life look alike for sale at, say, 10,000 $L (approximately $40 USD) due to copyright laws.......and 10,000 $L is pretty much above what anyone is going to pay for an avatar in SL.  There just isn't a return for anyone (even a shady "professional") to take a chance of having a lawsuit filed against them.   If someone were to approach such an individual with a custom avatar using their own face/body (no copyright issues for the creator) the time involved to create such a character is going to be huge.......they might say yes.  But the cost is going to be quite high.  Think of how much Sony pays professional 3D modelers for their characters........you might be in the ballpark on how it's going to cost you.  That's real life money, not lindens.

Now I'm sure you can find an SL skin creator who can create a skin that is similar (and probably the shape too) but it won't be a "look alike".......it will be somewhat close to what you look like in SL but not really at you at all.  And it's going to cost you a bundle (in SL terms for money).  Is it worth it?  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

mew mew ma mew mewp :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

Mesh heads are great, butttttttttt, talk about being a clone. That why i have not gotten that last great mesh head, that looks fantastic, but i am afraid that if i walk in a room and there 10 others with the same mesh head, well, hahahah, you can imagine.

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.