new and have a question about my avatar

Kempaggio

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Welcome to SL and the forums!

There are many ways to customize your avatar.  Start shopping for shapes, skins, hair and clothing that closely resembles yourself in rl.  It might be easiest to start with complete avatar sets (available on the sl marketplace - see the Shopping tab above).

Good Luck and have fun!

Kempaggio wrote:

so i saw a add saying i can make my avatar look like me, that is the whole reason i joined.  so how do i do that?  and sorry if this question has already asked

oh i think you are talking about the morphing..it was where you can bring an RL picture inworld and give it to this vender thing and it make the shape of your face or something like that...

i never did it myself but i remember seeing some of those venders a couple of years ago..i don't know if they are still around or not..

if i still had a landmark or the place was still around where i had last seen one of those i would post the link here..but i just can't remember..

the most i remember was it being in a biker sim..

• Like 1

If you're concern is to make yourself look like yourself in more than just face, give this a look as well:

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/getting-good-body-proportions-in-second-life/

Most avatars in SL have shapes that are humanly impossible - looking like oneself is rarely desired here, let alone looking human or humanoid-based. ;)

Start with making a rough draft of your real life shape...ie bone structure, height, proportions, shape of nose etc.  YOu do this is editing appearance mode and other have posted about this.

Once you have the draft shape, go to all the skin shops and look for those that sort of looks like you. Do not buy, just grab up demos.  Go to hair stores and do same thing.  Check out shops for eyes your RL color...these you cannot demo so make sure you like the color. 

Go home wear the eyes and try on the demo hair and skin demos.  When you find a hair and a skin that best resembles the RL you, start tweaking and refining your shape to work better with the skin.  When you achieve a look you are happy with then go back and buy the hair and the skin.

One Detail. The sizes in SL are not correct.

Avatars are 30-50cm taller than in RL and buildings are at least that high so your camera is not bumping at or in the ceiling.

So you will most probably appear as a dwarf if you use your correct height or you add about 20% to all numbers.

Nova Convair wrote:

One Detail. The sizes in SL are not correct.

Avatars are 30-50cm taller than in RL and buildings are at least that high so your camera is not bumping at or in the ceiling.

So you will most probably appear as a dwarf if you use your correct height or you add about 20% to all numbers.

I would like to add that the unit meter what SL uses is correct in relation to real life meter. It really is. For some strange reason lots of people make their avatars ridiculously tall. Then some designers follow the trend by making their designs huge too.

It's good to see that there are also many avatars having real life sizes. And there are regions which have real life sized builds. So, it's not that everything in SL is oversized.

Making things oversized in SL is crazy. One region is exactly 256 x 256 meters. Why to waste that space by filling it with oversized things? Very strange indeed! :matte-motes-agape:

There used to be a place that made a skin from your RL photograph. But it was expensive and I dont recall who did it.

My suggestion would be to shop around for avatar pieces that look like you. The shape, the skin, the hair, the eyes, and the fashions. Good luck.

The girl in the ad probably made her own skin. That is a highly specialized skill to save for later.  :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.